Ammonia in Tap Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropical-fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all, i have just tested my tap water and found that the ammonia level is 0.5ppm. is this type of ammonia harmful to my fish? and if so will carrying out large weekly water changes cause more damage than good? (the ammonia reading of my aquarium is currently 0.25)

Here is some information on Singapore water treatment.
PUB

Thanks

tropical-fish said:
hi all, i have just tested my tap water and found that the ammonia level is 0.5ppm. is this type of ammonia harmful to my fish? and if so will carrying out large weekly water changes cause more damage than good? (the ammonia reading of my aquarium is currently 0.25)

Here is some information on Singapore water treatment.
PUB

Thanks

It maybe chloramine in ur tap water. Wat water conditioner are u using?

I couldn't get your link to load on my iPad, but I assume it's chloramines (chlorine / ammo mixture) in the water. As long as you're using a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime, it will detoxify the ammo for 24-36 hours until the biofilter gobbles it up.

Do you know why your tank ammo is .25? Are you currently cycling the tank?

thanks for your prompt replies. im using aqumedi chlorine free to treat the water. is prime better for removing chloramine?

yeah it's a new tank. it was supposed to be a fishless cycle but after a few days i was given some fish to get my collection started. so i was planning on doing daily water changes to control the ammonia level.

this may be a bit of a dumb question but would rain water or bottled water be safe to use for the water changes while waiting for the cycling to finish?

tropical-fish said:
thanks for your prompt replies. im using aqumedi chlorine free to treat the water. is prime better for removing chloramine?

yeah it's a new tank. it was supposed to be a fishless cycle but after a few days i was given some fish to get my collection started. so i was planning on doing daily water changes to control the ammonia level.

this may be a bit of a dumb question but would rain water or bottled water be safe to use for the water changes while waiting for the cycling to finish?

Prime makes ur ammonia into a nontoxic form against ur fish but still consumable for ur bacteria!

ok thanks. i'm not so concerned about the tap water now that i know treating with prime will detox that ammonia.

i'll monitor the ammonia levels in the tank closely and continue with the daily water changes while waiting for the tank to cycle.

thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom