Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ammonia in tap water

Hi guys
I just realized that my tap water has ammonia in it, yesterday and today was 1ppm. I called water company and they said that they use ammonia to help with chlorine and it is usually should be 0.25-0.50ppm in my water.
Because my tank just finished cycling I donít want to take a chance and ruined all my hard work. It is hard to do PWCs with ammonia already in your tap water. Did anybody has good results with ammonia removal pads, the one you put inside of your filter? Any advice please.
Thank you

Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is awful info from the water company! I would be using filtered water, or bottled or RO/DI water from a fish store and remineralize it.

Alternatively you could get a trash can or 5G buckets and run ammonia detoxifier /chemical media to get the water to start out with good water parameters with your tank!

The similar thing happened to me when I began keeping shrimp. Mine was only .25 ammonia but I did find out it was from the water, yuck!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Agree with AS, I too have the same issues here in Ireland. I use filtered water only when doing WC's.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ammonia in tap water

Hi guys thank you for advice. I think I will go with a bucket and try to remove ammonia first before do PWCs. I just tested my filtered water I have
Pur pitcher to filter water for drinking and I noticed it is kind of big difference in pH, KH, DH than my tap water but it is still not removing ammonia from tap water
Old 06-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get yourself a R/O setup. It's maybe $200 but you'll save a lot of time and money and effort in the long run.

Tags
ammonia, ammonia in tap, ate, tap water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com