Ammonia level is at 4...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjas007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On my last topic I was and still am having cloudy water problem (more like haze, I thought it was clearing up but I guess not). But I did get the AP Master F/W Test Kit on last week and I have tested daily since last Sat. And I need help with getting the Ammonia at a safe level, it has been at a 4 ever since. The nitrate and nitrite are 0 the ph (high range) is 7.4. Thurs I went to my lfs and they suggested that I use ammonia clear (jungle product) for the ammonia I used it for 2 days and still getting the same results. HELP HELP...

My fish friends don't appear to be having any problems (10gal 4 danios, 2 oto's and 3 platys), they still have a good appetite.

What I do when that happens to the tanks that I maintain is overdose on bacteria additives like Bio-spira, Cycle or a new product called Stability that contains also nitrifying bacteria. if your fish are eating, its also be that you are getting a false reading, I would try to get another test kit from a different company and test again.

hope this helps.

I agree that you could be getting a false positive reading. Make sure that you are using the two bottle AP ammonia test.

The lack of nitrite and nitrate concerns me. How long has the tank been up and running and when were the fish added?

Ammonia is toxic above .25 ppm but the level that it takes before a fish succumbs to it depends on the species. In the meantime, you can do a water change to lower the ammonia level and do one whenever there is a spike in ammonia. You might find yourself doing water changes daily or every other day.

Bryan

Yes, you may have to do water changes daily, but dosing the tank with bacteria additives like I said would be much easier. Here is what I would do:

1 water change 30%, then add double dose of bacteria starters like the ones I said. Then test the tank 3 hours later. If the tank still has ammonia, double dose again and every 3 hours continue to do so and it will be zero. I cycle my tanks in two days with fish in it by adding bacteria starters all the time in this amount.

As Essayons said, you need the 2 part ammonia test to get an accurate reading. I recently had an ammonia and nitrite surge in my prized angel tank and had to act fast. My ammonia level was WAY higher than what you are experiencing, and I had to act fast. I did about a 75% water change and switched an established filter from another tank that has multiple filters running on it. I also added 2 sponge filters to the tank to increase the movement at the water's surface. I also added amquel plus until the ammonia level subsided so my fishies wouldn't suffer. It neutralizes the ammonia and nitrites so they don't hurt your fish, but can still be utilized by the bacteria. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals has a new master test kit that contains the 2 part ammonia test, plus it contains a nitrate test. If you are going to purchase another ammonia test, you will probably pay as much for the single test as you would for the master test kit.

Ok, I had my water tested by my lfs (at least 2 of them) I just wanted to make sure I was getting correct info (the AP master test kit I have has 2 bottles for ammonia testing and I did use both per directions) - well the ammonia is high, so I did a 50% water change and I used 1 teaspoon ammo-lock (per instructions for a 10 gal) yesterday the ammonia level is down from 4 to a 2 I know this is still bad. And I probably should do another water change but if I'm reading the directions right on the ammo-lock I need to do at least 3 treatments before I do another water change - is this correct if not I will do another change tonight. But I did add a 1 teaspoon of the ammo-lock tonight. I haven't been to lfs tonite to obtain the bacteria additives that Fishboy-from-NY suggested for one I don't have quite enough funds. So I'm praying that this ammo-lock will hold down the ammonia level until I can get it.

If I'm missing the boat on understanding this ammo-lock help me get on board - I don't want to lose my fish friends. But again if I need to do another water change let me know I will definetely do one before I retire for the night. Also what is the best way to use this ammo-lock if any one has done it a lil' different from the instructions.

Ammo lock can do the trick in neutralizing the ammonia & Nitrite. I would just do the water changes until it decreases without touching the gravel or filter system in order to not disturb the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom