Ammonia levels spiked, reduce feeding times?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratlegs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I noticed a strong stench this morning and I did an ammonia test. It had spiked up to 5ppm. Out of pure fear I did a 50% PWC and gravel vaced my substrate. I guess my question is did I do the right thing, and could I have done something else or better. I'm still really new to all of this...

Sent from my LG-US730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgot to mention that I feed them small amount three time a day once in the morning once more at dinner and once again at lights out for my little clown Pleco.

If your ammonia spiked up to 5ppm then you will be needing to do more water changes. A 50% pwc is only going to take it down to 2.5ppm which is still way higher than safe levels. You should really be shooting for 0.25ppm and do a 50% water change any time it rises above that.

How long has this tank been set up?

Just about 2 weeks

Yeah, with the aquarium being smack in the middle of a cycle you're really going to need to keep a closer eye on your water parameters and do water changes accordingly. What fish do you have in there currently?

6 cories 1 clown pleco and my girlfriends fat goldfish

That wasn't my post, I was just commenting. This is my 10g

Gotcha. Unfortunately, there's quite a few issues goin on that need some attention. The feeding is definitely too heavy IMO, combined with being extremely overstocked and in the middle of a cycle would explain the onslaught of crazy ammonia readings. Another thing to take into consideration is that none of those fish should be in a 10g to begin with. All of them really need at least a 20g and the next bad news is that goldfish are cold water and the others are not.

Now the real predicament sounds as though you have to choose between your fish and your girls.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

**** thats a tough choice...

I'm on the other end of it, the cories imho are perfectly fine in a 10g. They are not however, a good choice in a cycling tank. They are somewhat sensitive fish that will suffer more in the high ammonia than other fish will.

I agree completely about the goldfish and the pleco though. Goldfish and plecos are two of the biggest waste producers out there which is going to contribute heavily to your ammonia production.

If I were in your position, I would keep the corys in the 10g, rehome the pleco and goldy, and replace them with a betta.

In order to speed up your cycle, try going to a LFS and asking if you can have some of their filter squeezings to pour into your tank.

Living in the very tip of Maine has left me with the closet fish store over 200 miles away

Living in the very tip of Maine has left me with the closet fish store over 200 miles away

Youch, any fellow hobbyists or family members with a running tank?

I'm on the other end of it, the cories imho are perfectly fine in a 10g. They are not however, a good choice in a cycling tank. They are somewhat sensitive fish that will suffer more in the high ammonia than other fish will.

If I were in your position, I would keep the corys in the 10g.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the clarification.

It's one of those highly debated topics. Many people here on the forums will disagree with me but *shrug* I attribute the belief that cories need larger tanks mainly because there is almost a cult following for them. They really aren't large fish and they aren't one of those fish that uses the available space.

Considering some Cories hit 3", and needs groups of 6 or more a 10g is too small for many species.

http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ
Pygmy species (3 available) are the exception. The 3 smallest Cory species stay around an inch or less, so a group of 5 or 6 leaves room for other fish. Like Celestial Pearl Danios.
My Cory habrosus playing. I had 5 at the time in my 10g
http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY
Healthy happy Corydoras use the tank. :)

Cheap Goldfish set up ?
Lots of YouTube vids on setting up Rubbermaid Ponds.

You can use a Plastic Container or a Stock Tank. Heck The goldfish could live in a 55 gallon trash can temporarily if needed as long as it is never been used for anything with chemicals.

You can build a DIY Filter as well. http://youtu.be/Dpt9BqpE9RU
http://youtu.be/umUOh5eXu3s
If the Goldfish is a Fancy it can live in a tank. 29g is bare minimum for 2 Fancies without other fish. Common Goldfish hit a foot or more.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420617534.267950.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

See what I mean when I said it was debated?

I am going to use boesemani rainbows as an example here since they also reach 3 ish inches. The boesemani rainbows are a very active fish. They will often pace back and forth in a tank much the way tangs do in salt water. They also just dont act like themselves when in a tank shorter than 4 foot. This is what I mean by "using the tank"

Cory cats on the other hand swim more like guppies. They are very active, much like boesemani rainbows but the difference is that cory cats couldn't care less which direction they swim. They spend their time randomly skimming the substrate for food rather than running back and forth like a caged tiger. This method of swimming that cory cats adopt is the reason why I contest that they do perfectly fine in a 10g tank.

In short, theres a difference in the type of activity between fish. Some care about space while others dont.

Back
Top Bottom