Ammonia Levels Won't Drop in Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Steve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
I'm a brand new tank owner attempting to do a fishless cycle, but can't get the ammonia levels to drop.
It's a 20 gal tank. I rinsed all of the gravel, plastic plants, etc. before putting them in the tank and used Tetra AquaSafe Dechlorinator to condition the water. Water temp. is a constant 76-78 degrees. I've got the airstone going and the ammonia up to 4 ppm (maybe a bit higher-- It's hard for me to tell the difference between the 4 and 8 ppm on my API Master Test Kit).
It's been going for two weeks now with little or no change to the Ammonia levels. Tonight I tested NitrItes for the first time and got a reading of zero. I also did a ph test and found the low range was off the chart. High range ph looks pretty close to 8.2 (is that normal?)
Any suggestions?

I've been reading posts simmilar to my own, and it sounds like high ph might be the problem. How can I get my ph levels down? A PWC? How much?

Your ph is just fine. Have you tested the nitrates yet?

Fishless cycles can take just as long as regular cycles so it's really just a waiting game.

Hi Steve.
It can take a while to get the cycle started but once it starts you should get nitrites. It can take a bit longer for the nitrite to nitrate bacteria to develop. They can't establish until the ammonia to nitrite bacteria are going. Cranking up the temp to about 82-84f could help.
The most common advice is to get some seeded filter media from another fish keeper but this is not always possible. Certainly worth remembering if you decide to cycle a second tank.
Be patient and good luck with your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know if I can change the pre-set temp. on my heater. It's a 100 watt Tetra submersible heater. Anyone know about those?

Back
Top Bottom