Ammonia, nitrites and nitrate reading on day 1 of cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sooze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this and after losing 2 fish in less than a month, I researched fishless cycling.
I only have a small tank, it is 3.7 gallons which is 14 litres. Anyway apparently I lost the 2 fish to new tank syndrome and was told that nitrites and nitrate were off the charts. We cleaned the tank out except the filter which we rinsed in old tank water. After setting it up we left it running with nothing but the water conditioner in and tested the waters to which the 3 all showed zero.
So today I added a pipette of pure ammonia and when testing it showed 2ppm, having read that it needed to be at least 4ppm I added another pipette. Testing showed it at 5ppm, I then used a test strip which I was shocked to see nitrites and nitrates showing but knowing that test strips are not accurate I did the liquid tests. Nitrites are showing at just below 5,0 mg/l and Nitrates are reading 50 mg/l using the columbo aqua test.
So I have to say I am really confused! Everything was zero before I added the ammonia and after all the research I have been doing I did not expect nitrites this early and certainly not nitrates. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi Sooze,

I just want to make sure I have read this correctly you used your old media from the previous failed setup with this newest one correct?

Hi Huron, yes that correct and because LFS advised me too. I tested the water before adding the ammonia and nitrites and nitrates were zero, then added ammonia and when I tested the water later that evening all three were showing readings?

Ok, they told you right as your old media most likely has some level of bacteria built up in it because you had fish in the original tank and that is good. Right now your tank is cycling and you need to give it time to finish the process before adding new fish, you will want to test your parameters every couple of days to get your ammonia under control doing partial water changes as necessary to reduce your ammonia. Your readings should be
Ammonia 0.0ppm
Nitrites 0.0ppm
Nitrates 25.0-40.0ppm
Ph 7.0 This is considered a neutral Ph

Once your tank has stabilized you can gradually add fish, I would not add them all at once this will make it easier for to monitor and control your tank parameters. Depending on the types of fish you will need to adjust your temp and PH accordingly. Hope this helps

Hi, thanks for you advice, can I just ask is it ok that the nitrites and nitrates are appearing together already? Sorry I have been to so many Lfs and each one told me something different, just want to get it right this time.

Hi, thanks for you advice, can I just ask is it ok that the nitrites and nitrates are appearing together already? Sorry I have been to so many Lfs and each one told me something different, just want to get it right this time.

Yes I imagine they are appearing already because of the old "seeded" media. As the Nitrifying bacteria eat the ammonia they produce Nitrites, which in turn is eaten by other Nitrifying bacteria producing Nitrates. This is all part of the Nitrogen cycle which much take place.

Ah great, thanks for your help. Now I just wait until the ammonia goes down and the nitrites go up and down producing nitrates. Just to check do I need to add more ammonia at any point? It is still showing around 5ppm.

No I would not add anymore, give it 24-48 hours and recheck your parameters you want to see a gradual decline in ammonia if it is still high do a 25% water change then wait another 24-48 hours and check again and so on until your numbers match those I gave you .

No problem I was happy to help, I am by no means as experienced as a lot of folks on here but that should help resolve your issue. If you have any more issues don't hesitate to ask :)

Ah thanks, I will do that. In the meantime I think I will check out the fish suitable for my little tank.

i think there was some confusion here, there are no fish in this tank correct? if you are doing fishless there is no need to perform water changes to reduce ammonia.

Since you already have nitrites, your proper course of action is to dose 2ppm ammonia in the tank every 3-4 days until one day you abruptly test 0 nitrites (and 0 ammonia of course). the tank is then cycled. You then do a 90% water change to remove as many nitrates as possible and get fish.

I also would like to highlight another potential problem here. What were the two fish you had and were they in this tank??
In my opinion this tank is not suitable for any fish. Just shrimp and snails. Its simply too small. Some may say you might be ok with a single betta fish but not for me

Hi, We actually bought the tank for daughters robo fish collection and then someone decided to buy her the real thing, so she was spontaneously given 2 goldfish and it was only after that that we found out the dos and donts of keeping goldfish as we didn't know anything about it all. Anyway on further research so far I apparently can keep platys, white clouds, guppies or a betta. I am still researching my options as I know this is a small tank but I am a little confused as if it really was not suitable for any fish at all surely Marina would not be allowed to produce and sell it? I will be doing I depth research as I don't want to lose any more fish due to tank size etc and I am hoping the cycle works as my daughter was heart broken and is desperate for new fish.

In my opinion this tank is not suitable for any fish. Just shrimp and snails. Its simply too small. Some may say you might be ok with a single betta fish but not for me
:agree:

I am a little confused as if it really was not suitable for any fish at all surely Marina would not be allowed to produce and sell it? .
Hi Sooze,
Some people might try fish like a betta in it but with its size it simply isn't adequate as Sk3lly pointed out, fish really deserve something more expansive and conducive to their natural enviroment. If you are really interested in keeping fish over invertebrates I would purchase a larger tank either retail or by checking out your local classifieds like craigslist.

Hi, We actually bought the tank for daughters robo fish collection and then someone decided to buy her the real thing, so she was spontaneously given 2 goldfish and it was only after that that we found out the dos and donts of keeping goldfish as we didn't know anything about it all. Anyway on further research so far I apparently can keep platys, white clouds, guppies or a betta. I am still researching my options as I know this is a small tank but I am a little confused as if it really was not suitable for any fish at all surely Marina would not be allowed to produce and sell it? I will be doing I depth research as I don't want to lose any more fish due to tank size etc and I am hoping the cycle works as my daughter was heart broken and is desperate for new fish.

I would suggest some java moss and some nice red cherry shrimp. Kids love them and they would be great in this tank. You could also add a mystery snail for a bit of tank personality.

Platys are such a bad choice for that size tank. If your research was thorough enough you'd know that. Platys have an incredibly large bioload for their size. They are poop machines. They will foul up your water so fast that your filter simply wont cope. They also need room to swim. I think platys are 20gallon recommended for these reasons

Thanks sk3lly, it was the LFS that suggested platys, but I am glad you told me that because they are now off the list.

Back
Top Bottom