Ammonia problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alphee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I’m new to the hobby and need some advice.I set up a10 gallon tank 3weeks ago and didn’t know anything about tank cycling and am now having problems with ammonia.Was advised by Petsmart employee to do a 50% water change add ammolock and reduce feeding.Ammonia reading went from 8 to 2 over 4 days of daily water changes now reading is at 1 to 1.5.Should I keep doing this and eventually it will sort itself out.I have a Betta 5 Neon Tetras and had 2 Albino corycats but unfortunately 1 of them died .They all seem do be doing fine.Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Keep doing as you are. Test water daily and till your ammonia is down to near 0ppm do 50% water changes. Generally you want to be doing 25% water change if your ammonia or nitrite is readable. Your tank will be cycled when you consistently see 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and your nitrates are steadily rising.

I would also recommend reduced feeding until your ammonia is more under control. Either light feeding daily or a full feeding every other day.

Hi Aiken thanks for the advice will keep up with the water changes and reduced feeding until it sorts itself out.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom