Ammonia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm doing my fishless cycle and it's taking forever. I know the bottle of ammonia I have isn't 10%. The bottle I have is very low % but still pure. Does anyone know if using ammonia that's less than 10% is affective or should I go out and find a bottle that's 10%?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as you get the ammonia concentration to the right amount it doesn't matter what your source is. Heck, even urine works to dose ammonia.

How long has it been and what level are you dosing to?

I started with 4ppm. That level dropped to 2ppm twice and I redosed to 4ppm. After the 2nd time it stalled. It's been 2 months but I did 2 large water changes earlier this week to reduce everything and dosed to 2ppm and after 3 days I'm finally seeing results. Idk what the reason for the stall was but it looks like I'm in the home stretch. Thanks for the input!

Hi. Just check your Ph hasn't dropped, below 6.5 can stall bacteria growth. I cycle at about 80 deg which also helps.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I'm at 83-85 deg and ph has stayed between 7.6 -8.0. I checked this morning and all ammonia was gone. Just waiting to see where the nitrite is later and will dose back up.

Back
Top Bottom