Ammonia spike!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys so iv had a big ammonia spike and am thinking of doing like a 90% water change, iv got fish in there already so do you think I should do a 90% or should I wait a day? My bacteria must have died off and I dont want my fish to do the same!

Was about 1 ppm which I feel is super high! Iv got this bottle of nutrafin cycle that I had for my first ever betta but I read the instant cycle isnt good for a tank? Also this stuff if like a year old so idk if I should even attempt using that

1ppm does not warrant a 90% water change. Do 50% now and add Prime water conditioner. Bacteria in a jar isn't going to help all that much.

Do you know why you had a spike?

I recently added 2 fish then shortly after a snail and a dwarf cray, the dwarf cray is what really is getting me worried cuz I kno they dont like ammonia and dont want him to die! Not sure if my cycle is restarting cuz I added to much to fast, thats kinda what I feel like has happened

Its a 10 g iv got 3 black ruby barbs theyre still small going to move them to my 60g once I get it going have to wait till after Christmas sadly :/ and 2 albino cherry barbs, its a full load I believe! Im running an aquaclear 20 loaded with biomedia and iv also got a whisper 1-3 on there which I had biomedia in but I put in the normal cartridge to keep water clear which I think may have been foolish

And I added the cherries and actually one ruby a few days after this was about 3 days ago and all seemed fine until lastnight

I was hoping someone else would chime in here. You have five barbs, the crayfish, and what kind of snail? Anything else?

Has your crayfish eaten any of your barbs yet?

Its a dwarf cray theyre known to be more chill thats why I got him lol and a mystery snail, thinking of getting another for a better cleanup crew but I should wait till it recycles if thats whats happening

Back
Top Bottom