Ammonia test help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfish33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 2 live plants and 14 fish so far I do plan on adding more. I cycled the aquarium with fish in at that time I only had 4 fish. I have been changing water about 5-10 gallons weekly. I was showing 0 nitrites 0 ammonia and .5 nitrates. I then added the other fish over three separate occasions. I use api stress zyme+ with each water change.
After adding the last 4 fish a week later the water went extremely cloudy so I changed 20 gallons of water again adding stress zyme+. After a day the water was even more cloudy so I purchased and used the correct dosage of api accu clear which worked for a week before needing doses again.
Now the actual problem I have tested the water regularly and after adding the accu clear my ammonia test using the api master test kit turns blue within three minutes. It made me nervous so I changed 20 gallons again added quick start and stress zyme+ the water has so far stayed clear and the fish don’t act any different however the ammonia test continues to turn dark blue within a three to four minutes. Do I have an ammonia problem or is this some sort of weird reaction between the accu clear and the ammonia test kit.
Sorry for the long post but I’m hoping for some solid advice

As for solid advice I have none, but I can clarify something for you. I did a controlled test to see if my water would turn blue with the ammonia test within four minutes. Mine did not. But our water perimeters aren’t the same so the test wasn’t exact and could have many factors that contributed to the blue test results. As for advice I would wait a few days and just watch. If things start to look wrong act on it. The water quality might stabilize itself too. Best of luck!

I’m still trying to figure out what is causing the test problems as well so far water changes haven’t made a difference and all the fish seem healthy and happy with no issues some the one platy died and i don’t believe that was water related. I also don’t believe I’m overstocked with 19 fish which are 2 kuhli loaches, 1 bubble eye goldfish, 1 giant danio, 3 penguin tetras, 4 mollies, 3 platys, 1 Bala shark, 2 dwarf flame gouramis, 1 gold gourami, and 1 small pleco.

You definitely have plenty of room in that tank so I agree it’s not overstocked either. With the test I’m still not sure. Like I said, give the water some time and just watch the fish [emoji225]. Hope everything goes OK. [emoji3]

Thanks so far it’s going good still I plan on changing more water this weekend and I’ll retest and see what it shows I’m still kind of hoping it was just a weird interaction between the accu clear and the ammonia test

Back
Top Bottom