Ammonia Test is Completely Clear ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavyKOTWF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 tanks; First is very close to 4 weeks old. The 2nd is five days old.
Both when tested for ammonia, the test tube is completely clear, not even the least bit of yellow.
Anyone know what this means? Both tanks have a few fish.

On my test color scale, it shows yellow as 0 ppm.
Could it be that clear is also 0? Or could it be that the bottle is no good?

Pretty new stuff, Master Test Kit, 10/2024.
Added some bacteria after testing yesterday to both tanks. Today the Ammonia read 0.25 for both.
Could it be that the older tank was already cycled and thus no Ammonia? and the newer tank hadn't had enough time to get any ammonia?

Maybe a very small bioload.

Your first tank could be cycled. Id still do regular water changes just in case since you got fish in.

Even if ammonia is zero it will be yellow and not completely clear. Are you sure you used both ammonia #1 and ammonia #2 bottles?

Thanks all. Oka, THAT may have been it...I forgot or didn't know to use BOTH bottles. It's reading 0 and yellow now. Thanks again.

Water Tests

I have 2 tanks; First is very close to 4 weeks old. The 2nd is five days old.
Both when tested for ammonia, the test tube is completely clear, not even the least bit of yellow.
Anyone know what this means? Both tanks have a few fish.

On my test color scale, it shows yellow as 0 ppm.
Could it be that clear is also 0? Or could it be that the bottle is no good?

Hello...

Your older tank may be established. Just remove and replace half the water in it every week and you'll maintain a good water chemistry for the fish. The newer tank just needs a one-third water change a couple of times a week for a couple of weeks. Then, change half the water weekly and you won't need to ever test the water in either tank. Just don't ever miss a water change or the water chemistry in the tank will change and you'll be risking the health of your fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom