Ammonia to use for fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darryn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.
I am busy setting up my first tank and am almost ready to start cycling it. I intend using the fishless cycle method. The ammonia that I have is Super Cleaning Cloudy Ammonia. On the label, it says it contains "8% M/M Ammonia". It does not make bubbles when I shake it. Is this the correct ammonia to use?

TIA

Just remember there are alternatives to fishless cycling. And also remember that cycling is an endless process, not a process that has a well defined timeline whereas a tank is suddenly "finished" and ready to be stocked completely.

I would like to hear the dosage of ammonia for fishless "cycling" and how this dosage came to be determined.

As far as your question I believe there is a place on this site that describes the process in detail. You may have read this already,

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Good luck, Bill

I wouldn't use anything with scents or additives. If it smells like anything but ammonia, ditch it.

I sort of agree with Bill, but do think fishless is easier and safer in the long run. I've read to shoot for 5 PPM in order to immediately fully stock tanks 55G and below. No mention was made of larger tanks which tends to make me suspect as well.

I would like to hear the dosage of ammonia for fishless "cycling" and how this dosage came to be determined.
well dosage amount will be different since some bottles of ammonia is more pure then others. as i think you know there is a level at which the ammonia kills off any and all bacteria. the idea is to keep high so there is plenty of bacteria to take care of the waste once all the fish are in. though if i did a fishless cycle even at 5ppm or what ever i wouldnt fully stock it right away just to be safe and sound.

You know, I wish there was a way to discuss cycling and not have people get mad, it is one of those issues that people get very passionate about and when you suggest views that are different than what people feel strongly about then arguing ensues. Lol, cycling is like politics and religion. I have had people just lose their minds when I try to explain what is really going on in a new tank. Fishless cycling is a means to an end and there is no doubt that fish are not harmed in the process. But I do not agree that a fishless "cycle" makes a tank suddenly inhabitable with no further fluctuations in ammonia or nitrite. If a tank is set up and stocked appropriately then there is no need for ammonia or nitrite to ever approach lethal levels. Bill

You know, I wish there was a way to discuss cycling and not have people get mad, it is one of those issues that people get very passionate about and when you suggest views that are different than what people feel strongly about then arguing ensues. Lol, cycling is like politics and religion. I have had people just lose their minds when I try to explain what is really going on in a new tank. Fishless cycling is a means to an end and there is no doubt that fish are not harmed in the process. But I do not agree that a fishless "cycle" makes a tank suddenly inhabitable with no further fluctuations in ammonia or nitrite. If a tank is set up and stocked appropriately then there is no need for ammonia or nitrite to ever approach lethal levels. Bill

LOL. No doubt. The cool thing about the hobby to me is that there is always more than one way to achieve success. I've done fishy, fishless, and media swap cycling and the last is my favorite. Instant gratification without all of the work of doing a from scratch fish cycle. To each their own, I think the main thing is for new folks to the hobby to understand the differences and options.

lol well so far i dont think anyone is mad here so maybe we can keep it up. one thing i know and HN does to is able to back up our claims with reason. many people with just state something and the other is wrong no mater what. going though my posts you will see i often say there is always more then one way to do things. while fishless cycling isnt the only way i do feel its by far the easeist and quickest way starting from strach. the worst case in fishless cycling is you forget to add ammonia the bacteria dies off and you have to start over or you add to much kill it and start over. no fish harmed. no one is claiming there wont be any cluctuations in ammonia or nitrite. it just lowers the risk. its one of the reasons i said i wouldnt fully stock a new tank even doing fishless cycle just to be safe.

If a tank is set up and stocked appropriately then there is no need for ammonia or nitrite to ever approach lethal levels.
yes this is true for a aged tank but a new tank you toss fish in the ammonia will build up. the ammount of bacteria in the tank cant handle that much waste. with fish cycling all your doing is counter acting the ammonia build up with all those water changes until the bacteria can catch up. which in the end is more work and tends to take more time then fishless cyling.

Actually slow stocking is perfectly fine for new tanks. I have for years coached new aquarists with setting up and stocking aquariums, most commonly 10 gallon tanks. If a knowledgeable person is guiding them and providing them with the appropriate fish and time table then ammonia nor nitrite ever become an issue. Therein lies the problem though, how many new aquarists have someone knowledgeable guiding them? Not enough apparently. Bill

do they just do weekly water changes or what that way? whats reasonable slow stocking in a 10 gallon and how high do the ammonia or nitrites get?

Back
Top Bottom