Ammonia, what a pain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an ammonia problem in both of my 55 gallon tanks. Since it is in both it must be something I'm doing, but I don't know what.
There aren't any nitrates or nitrites from over feeding. I only have 5 fish in one of the tanks, so I don't think it's overcrowding.
I have 2 filters on both tanks 1 is the Magnum Canister and the other is the Emperor 400, so there is adequate filtering.
Does anyone have a suggestions?
I'm really getting tired of doing water changes every other day, it's exhausting. But if I don't change the water at least every other day, by the 3rd day the ammonia level is 2.0ppm or higher.
I'll take any advice at all, I don't care how out there it may sound. This has been going on for 2 months and I'm at a loss as to what else I can do.
HELP:confused:

You should have some nitrates. Sounds like there is something stalling your cycle. :(
If you post this in the Freshwater Getting Started section, you will get alot more answers from people who know more than I do.

thank you

thank you I will post on the Freshwater getting started. I didn't know there was one being this is my first day as a member

Regardless, we need more information to help you. :)

What fish are in each tank?

Are you using any chemicals, additives, etc? What are you using?

What size water changes are you doing (percentage is a good calculation)? How do you do these?

What is your feeding schedule?

How long have the tanks been set up for?

What are all of your water parameters - temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What are you using to test - strips or liquid reagent/dropper kits?

Welcome to AA!

I'll move this thread to the FW Getting Started section. I also edited your title a bit.

It sounds like something you're doing is preventing the cycle from progressing. When you do water changes, are you using a dechlorinator? If you don't nutralize the chlorine/chloramines in your source water this can kill off your beneficial bacteria, causing this to happen over and over again.

Regardless, we need more information to help you. :)

What fish are in each tank?

Are you using any chemicals, additives, etc? What are you using?

What size water changes are you doing (percentage is a good calculation)? How do you do these?

What is your feeding schedule?

How long have the tanks been set up for?

What are all of your water parameters - temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What are you using to test - strips or liquid reagent/dropper kits?

Twice now I've tried to get all the info. you asked for. But by the time I finish typing it all the website knocks me off for inactivity and dumps everything I typed. I'm not sure how to answer your questions when this keeps erasing everything I write. I'm a bit frustrated

Welcome to AA!

I'll move this thread to the FW Getting Started section. I also edited your title a bit.

It sounds like something you're doing is preventing the cycle from progressing. When you do water changes, are you using a dechlorinator? If you don't neutralize the chlorine/chloramines in your source water this can kill off your beneficial bacteria, causing this to happen over and over again.

I agree it's most likely me, but I don't know what. And yes I always use a dechlorinator and I always test for chlorine after a water change to make sure that it doesn't have any chlorine in it.

Are you cleaning the filters when you do PWC? If you are, that can kill off what beneficial bacteria you do have.

Just tossing that in there in case that is contributing to the problem.

filters

I've been reading through all the posts for the last few years and I've figured out one thing I seem to be doing very wrong.
I am cleaning the filters of all the good bacteria, so all the bad is left to run rampant. I think that may be my ammonia problem.
I am an obsessive cleaner. Everyone talks about bad water parameters and the water looking bad. But the water in both of my 55 gallon tanks is crystal clear and the ammonia is out of control. I'm going to try not messing with the filter's and see if that helps with the ammonia problems.

That's the way to go. Especially if this is a new tank, you are essentially wiping the slate clean every time you do water changes and cleaning the filter. I would keep the filter in there, but keep doing water changes and see where your levels are at in about a week, week and a half.

Thank you, I'm giving it a shot. I did 25% water changes in both my 55 gallon tanks and my 5 gallon hospital tank, which is the only tank that has always had good water parameters.
I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm thinking positive.

Already started with the water changes. I plan on doing a 25% water change a day and see where things go from there.
I used to work in a hospital and we had an unwritten rule about only changing one thing at a time with patients. That way we always knew what worked and what didn't. So for now I'm just going to go with the filters. If that's not the problem then I'll try something else.

Thanks, I wouldn't have figured it out without having read all the posts for the last 4-5 years. There is a lot of really good information on just about every fish and tank problem there is on AA. I found it easy to use and really helpful. I will definitely be a regular from now on.
I have tried other sites that are suppose to help, none even come close to AA.
I will post the results of the filter trials on my "Ammonia what a pain" thread as soon as I have something to report.

You should also brace yourself for some potentially sick fish in the near future, because once your cycle starts to roll over - your ammonia problem could quickly become a nitrite problem - which I've seen do a lot more damage to fish than ammonia.

I use the sticks to test for chlorine after a water change. Quick Dip from Jungle brands. I know the tests are not very accurate but it gives me peace of mind that the Prime is doing it's job.

This is then only time I rely on test strips. Because I haven't found any other way to test for chlorine. I've been using Mardels 6-in-1 test strips. I get them from BigAlsonline.com, but they are frequently out of stock. So get a couple of bottles when you can. I've never been able to find them in any of our local pet or specialty fish stores. Plus BigAls has good prices. You should try BigAls Water conditioner, it's a very gentle, instant dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom