And so the bug is passed on...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherriff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My boyfriends mother has now caught the fish keeping bug and wants to do a Malawi set up. Having never done this before can someone advise me so I can get it all sorted for her. It's a 100litre tank. (Though could upgrade) and she wants an assortment of colours etc.
How do I go about this one? I have never kept Malawi so I don't know the stocking rules, water chemistry or dietary requirements.
Thanks to everyone who can provide a helping hand. :)

I would recommend an upgrade as well. Does your mother know the temperament of such fish. Allot of people get drawn in by the colors and then get so frustrated they get out of the hobby for ever.

have you recommended some dwarf cichlids GBR's or Kribensis? they are colorful more peaceful and will do well in your size tank.

It was the choice that attracted her, so I just wondered how you'd go about it. Will show her the above fish, how would they be stocked?

I agree that a larger tank would be needed to do malawi. They are also aggressive and will need to be stocked in relatively larger numbers which will require over-filtration and added attention to maintenance. Congrats on passing the "bug" along! It's always cool to have someone to talk fish with.

She doesn't like the idea of the mainstream community tank, can any one think of a stocking idea that would give her some colourful, characterful fish without going down the route of "school of neon tetra" ???

Back
Top Bottom