Angel fish tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm doing a bit of research on suitable tank mates on a 50 gal tank we are hoping to set up in the near future. I'm not 100% sure on the Angel fish but have always liked the look of them and deal that they are worth a serious consideration.
I still need to do some more solid research on which varieties I can get from the local pet store, I only remember seeing Assorted Veil Tails and possibly Goldens so should see what is there before I get stuck on a type to be disappointed.
I'm hoping to get a pair if the tank allows?? and would love some suggestions of fish that would be suitable to be with them.

TIA

Angel fish can live with most fish as long as they are all from babies they will eat what ever fits in the mouth and if you keep the well fed they should be fine a little bit of blood worm they should be fine

I read bala sharks and plecos are suppost to get along with angel fish. I'd do a little more research though.

You could have more than a pair if you wanted. I have 5. I have black skirt tetras with them and I had bleeding hearts at one point and I think you could pick out just about any mid sized tetra

You could have more than a pair if you wanted. I have 5. I have black skirt tetras with them and I had bleeding hearts at one point and I think you could pick out just about any mid sized tetra

Would a 50 gal be enough room for more than a pair?? I know they need a pretty heavily planted tank and don't want them to run out of room, I doubt I'll upgrade to a larger tank so would like this to be a forever set up.

I keep neons, cardinals, Bolivian rams and cories with my angel. Cories are actually an ideal tank mate for angelfish as they both occupy different levels in the tank and clean up leftover food. My angel doesn't mind my school of them at all.

I'd stick with two. This leaves you room to stock other fish and eliminates the possiblity that a pair will form and bully the other angels..a common scenario as a group of angels matures. Keep in mind they could pair up and terrorize the tank, in which case you'd need to be able to seperate them or remove them to a breeder tank. I've had angels spawning within a community tank w/o bothering the other fish much, but you should be prepared for the possibility anytime a potential pair of cichlids is in a community tank.

The only tankmates I avoid are neons and guppies, and of course fish smaller than those. I'll list the tankmates I've kept with them w/o any issues: kerri tetras, cochu's blue tetras, threadfin rainbows, boesemani rainbows, purple passion danios, glass cats, cories, betta, kribensis, bolivian ram, GBR/GGR, laetacara curviceps, nannacara anomala, keyhole cichlid, apistos, clown pleco, blue phantom pleco, farowella cats, panda garras, and a rainbow shark.

2 or 3 would be ideal in a 50 gal. You could do 4 or so, but as they grow larger they may feel cramped and get pissy with each other.

As for tankmates you have a LOT of options.
I kept mine with:
Pleco
tetras
apistos
rams

and no one ever fought. I think cories are a great idea too! The only problem we ever had with tankmates was an unruly lobster that liked to latch on to their fins and try to eat them ...so yeah, avoid crustaceans haha

Back
Top Bottom