Another API question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
When comparing the test tube to the test sheet do you hold the tube against the white area or infront of the white area because on nitrates the colors are so close and moving against the card makes the liquid look darker due to less light .

That's kind of a debated question. I normally hold it away from the surface of the card, but the room has to be well lit.

I just look at it in a well lit area. For me I just turn the living room light on and call it a day. Don't stress so much over where to read the results. If its bad you'll know it.

Also the API nitrAte test is notorious for making people lose there hair.

Convict2161 said:
I just look at it in a well lit area. For me I just turn the living room light on and call it a day. Don't stress so much over where to read the results. If its bad you'll know it.

Also the API nitrAte test is notorious for making people lose there hair.

API nitrate has to be divided by 4.4 to get an accurate reading for nitrate nitrogen, which is what every other nitrate tests for. API tests for total nitrate.

personally i prefer the salifert test kit over the api i thinks its way more accurate its a little more expensive but i think its worth it.

tonedogz said:
you hold it against the white background in a well lit room.

You want to read it in a well lit area with a white background. If you hold it too close to the card the shadow of the test tube will make it darker and harder too read. So you want to hold it far enough away from the card that the shadow doesn't effect the test results.

reefrunner69 said:
API nitrate has to be divided by 4.4 to get an accurate reading for nitrate nitrogen, which is what every other nitrate tests for. API tests for total nitrate.

Soo.. exactly what does that mean? Haha

tonedogz said:
personally i prefer the salifert test kit over the api i thinks its way more accurate its a little more expensive but i think its worth it.

For a lot of elements I would agree, but API is fine for testing 0 results such as ammonia and nitrite, IMO.

Reefrunner that is exactly what I was asking. Thank you and everyone else that replied.

paytertot said:
Soo.. exactly what does that mean? Haha

It means that if you are looking to keep nitrates <10 ppm if using an API test kit you want them below 44ppm. You have to divide by 4.4 to remove the weight of the oxygen molecules in total nitrate. I may not be explaining it just right, but that is the gist of it, it's been well documented for as long as I've been in the hobby.

It means that if you are looking to keep nitrates <10 ppm if using an API test kit you want them below 44ppm. You have to divide by 4.4 to remove the weight of the oxygen molecules in total nitrate. I may not be explaining it just right, but that is the gist of it, it's been well documented for as long as I've been in the hobby.
Im happy with just a reference of below 40 as the api kit showes but its never been above 10 The shadow effect is what i was concernd with

reefrunner69 said:

That just made my head spin lol. Thank you though... I think understood that.

Back
Top Bottom