Any advice or suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaranth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!​

I'm currently working on getting all my stuff together for a 5.5 gallon (FW) tank. I believe I have most of what I need (still working on a heater and some lighting). I'm planning on getting a male betta, possibly some neon tetras, since my roommate loves them, but not for a while.​

Now my dilemma is this: I'm going to be moving back to school in a little less than two months. So I'm wondering if I should start on cycling now, wait until I get up to school, or what. I'm inclined to think I should begin cycling now, but I'm a little concerned about transporting everything up (it's about 2 hours away). I don't think that would hurt my bacteria colonies, but I'm more concerned with spills, etc. So, does anyone have any guidance one way or the other? Travel tips? Any other suggestions about possible tankmates? I know that's a common topic, I've read a few other threads about it, so sorry to ask again.​

Thanks in advance for your help!​

2 hours is no big deal. Go ahead and cycle your tank. Get some fish bags (check kensfish.com) and store your media completely submerged in water, and you'll be all set when you get back to school.

Neilanh is correct about your cycle. In a 5.5 gal tank with a betta you will be limited to a couple of smaller fish. I would consider 3 dwarf cories.

Thank you guys very much! I kind of figured it would be a good idea to get the cycle out of the way. Neilanh, thanks for that site! And I'll look into cories, seeing as I know just about nothing about them.

Another quick question, with a 5.5g, what type of heater would be recommended? I know I've seen recommendations somewhere but I seem to be incapable of finding it now, and I don't want to spend 20 minutes in the same aisle at my LFS, lol.

25watt heater, try to find one that has an adjustable temp on it(which may be hard to find), many of the small heaters supposedly have a built in thermostat set to like 78deg, but not sure that they are very accurate?

I'd go with a Visitherm 25 watt Stealth Heater. Definately go ahead and cycle the aquarium now. A 5.5 gallon is small enough that it's very easy to move (as far as moving aquairums goes) and with it only being 2 hours won't be bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom