Anyone know some good predator fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaBubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be getting a 45gl tank soon and I'm really interested in predator fish, or really, fish that eat other fish. No, I'm not sick, I don't HAVE to feed them other fish, I'm just interested in the more aggressive breeds I guess. And I like size. So I wouldn't mind have one or two predator fish swimming in this 45gallon. So my questions are:

Are there any big predator fish that would fit my tank?
Where can you aquire them?
I wouldn't mind something that's a little pricey, but over $40.00 is a bit much.

Is there anything that matches this? If not, any other suggestions? On a side note, I was going to make the tank for cichlids, but I heard that they need a certain Ph balance and such and I'm not sure how to do that...=/

Thanks in advance!

Depending on the dimensions of the tank, you may be able to do some africans. pH is very overrated, imo. If its stable and somewhere above 7 and below 9 (though 9 is what some africans actually come from), then dont worry with ph. My only concern would be the dimensions of the tank. If it's a breeder style tank, i think you'd be ok. If its not, i dont think you'll have many options at all for any predatory fish. I cant think of any other fish off hand that would be suitable in such a small tank...

Hmmm...I dont think it is...i think its tall. Boo. :(

What are these africans? So I can look them up.

What about cichlids? How hard would it be to care for those?

Ah! Okay. I was looking at cichlids and what really got me into them, was the Blood Parrot Cichlid. They are so beautiful.

I believe it's 36x12x24...

I'm starting to think I won't be able to get anything but tiny fish...and I'm not a big fan. :(

I'm not real familiar with sa/ca and new world cichlids, but im pretty sure a blood parrot would get too big. I did forget convicts though. You could have a pair of them in that tank, and they're quite aggressive. I used to have a convict and jd mated pair and the convict didnt take long to show why it got its name :)

Yeah, big fish not so good in little tank. You really want something more like 48" long for africans.

Just don't get Oscar's I hate to see them crammed in little tanks!

Oh okay, thanks.

So you wouldn't be able to tell me the basics on cichlids? Thanks so much for your other information!

Though I am dissapointed. I was really looking forward to the blood parrot if I could....I should look up how big they grow. Maybe ONE could fit? :confused:

Adult Parrot fish can reach 10 inches. Most males though will average 7-8 inches and females a bit smaller averaging around 6-7 inches. You should make sure they have ample swimming areas with clay pots or caves. Rocks and driftwood would complete a comfortable tank set up as they love to have places to hide. Water temperature should be maintained between 76-80°F. PH should be around 6.5-7.4. A smooth small sized gravel or sand is ideal. They are a hardy, undemanding fish that only require room to swim, compatible tank mates and good healthy foods in order to be happy. With the heavy bio load of Parrots, it is essential that you have good aquarium filteration.

Copied that off fishlore.com btw...

According to that site 42 gallons is the minimum for one by itself, and that you need to add 10 gallons for each additional one. As for ph, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your ph is stable and within a reasonable range.

I havent had time to read the whole forum but you could do some leapord ctepoma and some african butterfly fish. Also a peacock eel if you can find 1.

site

According to that site 42 gallons is the minimum for one by itself, and that you need to add 10 gallons for each additional one. As for ph, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your ph is stable and within a reasonable range.

According to my site 30 gallons is the minimum for one by itself so if I use your calculations a 40 gallon could hold two. As for PH it's a battle to try to change it. Live with you have. Cichlid's can live in a wide variance of PH levels. As long as it's stable.

I concur the leopard ctepoma is also a interesting fish!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom