Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

API Master kit not testing Nitrate levels properly

Hi,
I'm in the process of a fishless cycle. My ammonia is going from 5ppm to 0 in 8 hours, high nitrites and moderate nitrate levels, then I got an API master test kit. Tested for Nitrate and they had lowered substantially. I waited a day and then re-tested, even lower. But nitrites were still high and I didn't believe it. So I took some of my water to the local pet store where they tested with strips. As I thought super high nitrates and super high nitrites! WTH??!
Anyone else experience this? Also, should I lower the amount of ammonia I'm adding even though it is going to 0 after 8-10 hours?
Do you guys think I'm almost cycled?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Never mind y'all

Hey,

Never mind I figured it out on another forum where the folks actually respond to newbies! Lol.

No worries. It's all good.

In case you were wondering because either you guys don't know or are too cool to answer, you have to beat the crap out of the Nitrate solution 2 to activate the crystals. I mean whack it on the counter, not just shake it.

So yeah, thanks anyway. Stay cool.

Sabrina

Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fishlore

Forgot to mention the forum, in case anyone else needs it. It's Fishlore.com
Old 03-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winswithagrin View Post
Hi,

I'm in the process of a fishless cycle. My ammonia is going from 5ppm to 0 in 8 hours, high nitrites and moderate nitrate levels, then I got an API master test kit. Tested for Nitrate and they had lowered substantially. I waited a day and then re-tested, even lower. But nitrites were still high and I didn't believe it. So I took some of my water to the local pet store where they tested with strips. As I thought super high nitrates and super high nitrites! WTH??!

Anyone else experience this? Also, should I lower the amount of ammonia I'm adding even though it is going to 0 after 8-10 hours?

Do you guys think I'm almost cycled?

Hello,

My sympathies on getting a reply.

Some other issues I have seen with the test kits are if they stand for a long time (the first few uses give poor results), if the bottle has expired or if the cap is left off the bottle in hot weather for long periods.

You could certainly cut back on ammonia dosing (give yourself a break from water changes) but high nitrites suggests a little more to go.

Is your ph still holding above 6.5? Below this the cycle may slow down.

Tags
api, ate, level, nitrate, nitrate level, sting, test, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com