Aqua Clear filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
So recently I was cleaning out the foam in my aqua clear 50. And I was picking up the carbon and the bag completely fell apart. I went to the store today to replace the carbon with something. I decided to actually use another foam pad instead of the carbon because I did not replace the carbon for a couple of months and my tank was doing fine. And I realized today the carbon should be change every month or it's useless.

So my questions are:

Do you actually need carbon in the filter?

The guy at my LFS said the carbon was the stuff that actually cleaned the water?? (Confused??wrong?)

My current set up now is 2 foam pad then the bio bag on top. The tank is 29gal about 80% stocked with bi weekly water changes of 60-70%. Been up and stable for 6 months(no deaths). Is my filter fine?

You don't need the carbon. Waste of filter space. You should have got another bio max for the filter. Foam on bottom, then 2 layers of bio max. This combo will maximize your bio filtration.

Buy the way the guy at the LFS told you that because he likes the steady income of people coming in once a month to buy carbon replacements.

So recently I was cleaning out the foam in my aqua clear 50. And I was picking up the carbon and the bag completely fell apart. I went to the store today to replace the carbon with something. I decided to actually use another foam pad instead of the carbon because I did not replace the carbon for a couple of months and my tank was doing fine. And I realized today the carbon should be change every month or it's useless.

So my questions are:

Do you actually need carbon in the filter?

The guy at my LFS said the carbon was the stuff that actually cleaned the water?? (Confused??wrong?)

My current set up now is 2 foam pad then the bio bag on top. The tank is 29gal about 80% stocked with bi weekly water changes of 60-70%. Been up and stable for 6 months(no deaths). Is my filter fine?
I agree with the not needing carbon reply. You could get a medium course pad and put some polyfil in there. The polyfil will do the same/better job of polishing the water. Also a big bag of polyfil will last years for a couple of dollars!!!
PS... Carbon only needed to remove meds from the water.....

I agree also, I run the foam on bottom then 2 bags if bio max in mine. You really only need carbon if you need to remove medication from your tank. Oh and I also throw filter fiber in the mix to keep my water crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom