Aquaclear 30 vs 50 for a 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Generally i like to overfilter tanks (just got a xp3 for my 55 gallon). I need to purchase a filter for my 10 gallon. I like the Aquaclear filters for the HOB ones. The Aquaclear 30 and 50 are only $1.49 difference in price. Should i opt for the 50 or will this one be a little too big for my 10 gallon?

This tank will be a planted tank with inverts and a school of guppies.

Filter Size = 150 (30)
Max Tank Size = 30 gallon tank
Flow Rate = 150 gph

Filter Size = 200 (50)
Max Tank Size = 50 gallon tank
Flow Rate = 200 gph

Thanks,

Jimmy

While the value-oriented consumer in me wants to tell you to get the AC 50 for $1.49 more, it may be a little much for a 10 gallon. Honestly, I would be more likely to use the AC mini than either the 30 or 50 for guppies. The others seem like they would kind of blow the guppies around the tank.

I use the AC Mini on my ten gallon, and it is more than enough filtration for the tank, and gives plenty of current and circulation.

One thing you can do with ACs is change the impeller to rduce the flow. All the ACs up to the 70, use the same motor but different impellers for the different flow rates. That would negate the cost savings, having to buy a smaller impeller, but, but if you already had the filter, it might make sense, rather than buying another filter.

Back
Top Bottom