Aquarium cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently moved my 15 gallon aquarium to a new 75 gallon aquarium. I moved the aqueon filter media to the new one and transfered all the graval without washing it. Initially I was thinking I moved the beneficial bacteria over but then I had a bacterial bloom so I'm not sure if it died off. I used api Accu-Clear a couple days later which cleared it right up.

I moved the aquarium over on April 4. I initially had five glofish tetras and added three more April 15th. I used Seachem stability from April 21-28. My primary water filter is the aqueon 400 canister and I have a 20 gallon sponge filter.

I have been checking the water every other day with api master testing kit and tetra testing sticks and I am still registering 0 anmonia, 0 nitrates and 0 nitrates. My question is since it has been a month should I add more fish or continue watching for anmonia?

A bacterial bloom is still likely even if you managed to transfer all your beneficial bacteria. Even though you reused your substrate, i presume you added some new as your new tank is bigger. New decorations etc. That will all be sources of nutrients that need to balance out.

If you are seeing zero ammonia + nitrite consistently, and you arent needing to do water changes to keep them at zero you can add some more fish. You appear to have retained enough cycle to support your current bioload. 8 small fish in a 75g tank probably isnt enough bioload to register on your water test anyway.

Back
Top Bottom