aquarium problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new (1 week old) 20 gallon, freshwater aquarium with sand substrate. When I set up the tank, I used a packet of bio-booster to start the healthy bio processes. I also used the proper amount of StressCoat the first 2 days after set up and put fish in after the water set for 48 hours. This my 3rd aquarium and my other 2 are doing great and are about 2 years old.

I have 3 dwarf gouramis, 1 small angel, 2 pleco and 2 zigzag eels. I have several plants that look healthy and a properly rated filter that is working well.

The aquarium has been looking healthy, the fish swimming all over and happy until this am. They are eating well.

This am, the gouramis and angel are hovering at the top of the water. the water is clear. The temperature is 79.5 degrees.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is with the tank and recommend resolutions?

Thanks!

You didnt cycle the tank. Simply adding this bio-booster and waiting a couple of days wont cycle the tank despite what the product you bought might say. It typically takes a couple of months to cycle a tank and involves more than just adding product.

You have a lot of fish for an uncycled tank and waste will be building up. Do you have a test kit? Can you give test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If not, take a cupful of water to test when you are able and change half water after removing your sample.

I have a new (1 week old) 20 gallon, freshwater aquarium with sand substrate. When I set up the tank, I used a packet of bio-booster to start the healthy bio processes. I also used the proper amount of StressCoat the first 2 days after set up and put fish in after the water set for 48 hours. This my 3rd aquarium and my other 2 are doing great and are about 2 years old.

I have 3 dwarf gouramis, 1 small angel, 2 pleco and 2 zigzag eels. I have several plants that look healthy and a properly rated filter that is working well.

The aquarium has been looking healthy, the fish swimming all over and happy until this am. They are eating well.

This am, the gouramis and angel are hovering at the top of the water. the water is clear. The temperature is 79.5 degrees.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is with the tank and recommend resolutions?

Thanks!
Hello, if you have other cycled tanks running is there any way to move some cycled filter media to new filter(filter cartridge, sponge, bio media). This will not cycle instantly but it's better than using bottled bacteria. If you let us know what filters you are running we can be more specific on what to do. Hope this helps!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom