Aquarium Salt + Ammonia Burns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Six_LN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.

I'm new here. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum section..

So, I recently got a small fantail goldfish. He has a few spots of ammonia burn on his body. I don't want to go into major detail, I just need to know one thing: I've searched the internet about this, but got no good answer, if any.

I use a few drops of Stress Zyme every few water changes -
I just need to know if "aquarium salt" will sting / hurt his ammonia burns if I use the salt.

As far as medication: I don't want to use stuff like Melafix - I've heard too many stories about people treating their fish with it or similar medications and the med liquid killed their fish over night..

I don't want to use anything that can hurt him, obviously. I want my little guy as comfortable as possible. I currently have the little guy in a 10 gallon as I am quarantining him. I do a water change every other day while siphoning the waste out, and I add in fresh water to replace the amount I took out.

My family uses well-water, not city water, so I don't have to condition the water as it is safe - I've used if for my fish for a few years.. And I don't over feed him. He gets 2 small pellets (or flakes) a day, so no excessive rotting food or feces.

I have a good amount of live plants in the tank (Pothos and Pennywort), and I have two sponge filters going in the tank as well.. One of the sponge filters is from one of my already established tanks.

I don't currently have a water testing kit yet - It will be arriving on Thursday..

So.. it all comes down to: Will the salt harm him??
Thank you for any responses and help.

Here's a pic I took of him while he was resting..

MIg38wR.jpeg

~ Six

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt is harmful to all freshwater fish. When used as a treatment the theory is that salt is more harmful to bacterial, fungal or parasitic infections than it is to the fish due to the relevant differences in body mass. A fish can cope with it better than a tiny organism.

The only cure for ammonia issues ive ever heard of is clean water and time.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I will keep up with the clean water changes and hopefully, he'll be fine. *fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom