Aquarium salt vs None

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
There are lots of conflicting information on adding aquarium salt to a betta tank and some saying do not. I have a 5.5 tank and when doing water changes I added a tsp. weekly. Then I found a statement not to do it. I thought it was good to prevent disease and aid them in breathing. Please help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 bettas in a 10g (separated by tank divider and wall of plants so no contact with each other) I've never used salt in any of my tanks. I've never really felt the need to use it. Both my bettas are happy and healthy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

There are lots of conflicting information on adding aquarium salt to a betta tank and some saying do not. I have a 5.5 tank and when doing water changes I added a tsp. weekly. Then I found a statement not to do it. I thought it was good to prevent disease and aid them in breathing. Please help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think it will do much. I've tried tasting that amount and can't taste it. Imo that level doesn't make much difference either way. They don't need the breathing aid and infections will happily survive at levels of salt greater than that. I think water would need to be very soft before it needs supplants for it but haven't looked into it much.

Which for me is the main reason I don't use salt. If you are salt dosing, fish gets an infection and you want to salt dose, then automatically you have to take the salt level higher than maybe might not be the case if not salt dosing. Maybe - just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom