Aquarium Sand Floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpertz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a week ago I setup a small 5 gallon aquarium for a Betta. I deiced to go with sand. I purchased the sand from my local aquarium shop. I rinsed it a few times and then poured it into the aquarium and filled it up with water. Its been about a week now and there is still quite a bit of sand floating on the top. Some very very fine sand floating in the middle and some small clusters floating to at the side and edges of the glass.

Is there anything I should be doing? Its been about a week and I thought the sand would be settled now. I'm afraid of installing a filter and having it suck in sand and damage it.

Please help!

About a week ago I setup a small 5 gallon aquarium for a Betta. I deiced to go with sand. I purchased the sand from my local aquarium shop. I rinsed it a few times and then poured it into the aquarium and filled it up with water. Its been about a week now and there is still quite a bit of sand floating on the top. Some very very fine sand floating in the middle and some small clusters floating to at the side and edges of the glass.

Is there anything I should be doing? Its been about a week and I thought the sand would be settled now. I'm afraid of installing a filter and having it suck in sand and damage it.

Please help!

Yep, some of that sand is very fine and flies if you look at the tank wrong. It's one of the reasons I opted for PFS (pool filter sand) since it stays put and even during a good vac, little to no sand leaves the tank.

You might want to consider a foam cover over your filter inlet to protect the impeller.

Back
Top Bottom