Aquarium substrate or pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_the_shark

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the difference betweem aquarium substrate and pool filter sand? Which one is best for aquatic plants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! The term "substrate" really applies to the material that covers the bottom of your tank. So pool filter sand is a type of substrate. For a planted tank, specific planted tank substrates are usually the best. Sand does not have any nutrients of its own and cannot really hold nutrients added to it. You can use sand to go on top of a planted tank substrate if you want. You do risk mixing the sand with the planted substrate if you rearrange a lot, though. You could also choose something like Flourite Sand if you like the sand look. Eco-Complete planted substrate seems to be popular right now. Substrates like Eco-Complete and Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum are kind of all-in-one, with plant root nutrients already in them. Substrates like Flourite and Flourite Sand are clay-based and have some nutrients, but benefit from having some root tabs added for heavy root feeders; the clay holds on to the nutrients well. There are pros and cons to each. Here is a blog that goes over some of the more popular planted tank substrates. http://blog.aquariuminfo.org/the-best-planted-tank-substrates/

Hi! The term "substrate" really applies to the material that covers the bottom of your tank. So pool filter sand is a type of substrate. For a planted tank, specific planted tank substrates are usually the best. Sand does not have any nutrients of its own and cannot really hold nutrients added to it. You can use sand to go on top of a planted tank substrate if you want. You do risk mixing the sand with the planted substrate if you rearrange a lot, though. You could also choose something like Flourite Sand if you like the sand look. Eco-Complete planted substrate seems to be popular right now. Substrates like Eco-Complete and Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum are kind of all-in-one, with plant root nutrients already in them. Substrates like Flourite and Flourite Sand are clay-based and have some nutrients, but benefit from having some root tabs added for heavy root feeders; the clay holds on to the nutrients well. There are pros and cons to each. Here is a blog that goes over some of the more popular planted tank substrates. http://blog.aquariuminfo.org/the-best-planted-tank-substrates/
Thank you so much for the explanation. I will try to digest that. So if I add sand over the substrate with nutrients how would i vacuum during water changes? I will check out those other options you mentioned. Thank you!

You don't vacuum it. If you have some areas completely free of roots, then I suppose you can. But you might be removing the substrate fertilizers in the process.
You can use PFS by itself. You just need to supplement it with root tabs/pellets.

Also eco complete is inerert. There is supposed cec value but no macro/micro value.

You don't vacuum it. If you have some areas completely free of roots, then I suppose you can. But you might be removing the substrate fertilizers in the process.
You can use PFS by itself. You just need to supplement it with root tabs/pellets.
Ohh i see. So you just change the water without moving the bottom?

Also eco complete is inerert. There is supposed cec value but no macro/micro value.
Oh i see. The reason i am using sand compared to gravel is that i want to put my corydora inside. I also want to put plants in as well

Sorry meant substrate. Gravel being generic term.

Whatever ya got no need get it into it. Maybe little here or there but not big time deep cleaning needed.

Sorry meant substrate. Gravel being generic term.

Whatever ya got no need get it into it. Maybe little here or there but not big time deep cleaning needed.
Sounds like a nice self-sustaining tank. What types of base do you prefer?

Not sharp at all. Put in 5g bucket stick hose into sand let water run out top. Keep moving hose around. When you think its clean...clean more.

Not sharp at all. Put in 5g bucket stick hose into sand let water run out top. Keep moving hose around. When you think its clean...clean more.
I like the last part of your cleaning tip [emoji23]. I appreciate the advice, I actually meant clean when I do water changes though.

Is putting pool filter sand, dbsd, ot tahitian moon sand on top of eco complete a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom