Are my fish compatable / over crowded ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmagregory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just bought a 55 Gallon tank and have the following - 3 Clown Loach, 3 Neon Tetras, 3 Swordtail, 3 Molly, 2 Guppies and 4 Marble Hatchets.
Q Have i made a mistake with having these fish in the same Tank, too many / not enough fish ? I know the Loaches will get big in time.
I was also worried about the Hatchet fish with faster moving currents for the Clowns?
My local Pet store will sell you anything so please advise ?

I'm very new to aquariums so I can't help much, but I do know most of those fish prefer being in schools, so it's best having 6+ of one type. I used aqadvisor.com when stocking my tank and it was super helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Clown loaches- these will eventually get too big for the tank (they reach around 12" long).

Neon tetras- these can be very sensitive and are not always great for beginners, despite what pet stores might tell you. They should also be in a school of at least 7.

Swordtails- these should be ok but watch out for aggression between them and the mollies.

Mollies- same as swordtails.

Guppies- should be fine but watch for other fish nipping their tails.

Hatchets- these can be sensitive and are also great jumpers, so you should have a lid covering the whole tank to prevent suicide jumpers. Can be nippy, too.

Hope I helped

Hatchets and Neons will appreciate live plants. Some floating plants will help offer security for the hatchets.
And I've never seen a nippy Hatchet. They are usually peaceful.

The Mollies and Swords can be very pushy about grabbing food. And the females can hit 5", so not fish I'd normally put with Hatchets.

Clown Loaches are awesome, but get very large. Smooth sand and live plants are appreciated.

You've got quite a mishmash of fish.

Not too bad. Nothing super aggressive. Just research your fish and pick a favorite to build your tank around.

Keep learning, keep an open mind.
AqAdvisor is a decent tool.
LiveAquaria has pretty good basic info also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom