Are we there yet??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibor

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ammonia=0
Nitrite= 1.0
Nitrate= 5.0

I do water changes and get the nitrites down to 0, but they are back at 1.0 the next day.

How much longer?

I'd say about 43 hours, 37 minutes, and 14 seconds... but just a rough guess. With the limited info in your post, it's hard to say... how much longer for what?

I'd have to disagree with you mfd, I don't think it's going to take that long. Probably like 37 hours, 12 minutes and 4 seconds.

Ammonia=0
Nitrite= 1.0
Nitrate= 5.0

I do water changes and get the nitrites down to 0, but they are back at 1.0 the next day.

How much longer?

Is this a fish-in cycle? If so, you need to keep doing water changes to keep the nitrites down. The nitrite phase is a tough one to stay on top of with fish in the tank, but it's imperative that you do b/c nitrites are toxic to fish. How large of a pwc are you doing? With nitrites at 1, I'd do two large water changes (60%+ each time) right away with a good dechlorinator.

We have some smart alecks here! :p

librarygirl I have been doing two changes twice a day (6-7 gals) and get the nitrites down as far as I can.

I was just wondering if anyone had a guess as to how much longer till the tank is cycled.

...Oh, I forgot to mention, one of the mollies had 5 babies. Could that be making the nitrites keep going up to 1.0?

ashleynicole Yes, I have fish in tere. This is my 10 gal tank, three mollies and now five wee little babies.

Ammonia=0
Nitrite= 1.0
Nitrate= 5.0

How much longer?

Do you have fish in the tank or are you dosing ammonia? What size is the tank?

If there are fish in the tank then, yes changing the water would get the nitrites down to zero and they will continue to go back up as the fish produce waist. You must continue to make daily water changes until your nitrites finally hit zero consistently.

If you don't have fish in the tank, then do not change the water. continue to dose ammonia daily until your nitrite levels hit zero.

Hope this helps.

We have some smartalecks here! :p

librarygirl I have been doing two changes twice a day (6-7 gals) and get the nitrites down as far as I can.

I was just wondering if anyone had a guess as to how much longer till the tank is cycled.

...Oh, I forgot to mention, one of the mollies had 5 babies. Could that be making the nitrites keep going up to 1.0?

How long have the nitrites been spiking? It's hard to give a time frame; the nitrite phase is the longest of the phases though, generally 2-3 weeks maybe on average. Just keep doing pwc as often and as large as you can to keep those levels lower. Also if you can use Prime to dechlorinate the water it will help detoxify the nitrite between water changes (not to be used in place of water changes, though).

They have been spiking for about a week, week and a half. I'll look for Prime. I just have basic All-in-1 drops.

I gave the tank a good vacuuming last week. I'll probably do that again this weekend.

The fish don't appear to be stressed, at least. They seem to love the water changes.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist :p

Just keep up your water changes :). Prime is definitely a savior, love that stuff.

They have been spiking for about a week, week and a half. I'll look for Prime. I just have basic All-in-1 drops.

I gave the tank a good vacuuming last week. I'll probably do that again this weekend.

The fish don't appear to be stressed, at least. They seem to love the water changes.

water changes are good... keep up the good work, and yes prime is definitely worth the investment. Sounds like you are well on your way, it can be very frustrating waiting for those nitrites to drop.

The wait is hard, even moreso when you have a nine year old (and a hubby) bugging you daily about getting more fish.

I know what you mean, it is hard. Just tell them that the water is toxic right now for fish, and it's better to wait then to scoop a dead fish out.

Back
Top Bottom