Assassin snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaze1983

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to fish keeping. I purchased a 100 ltr tank 8 weeks ago and planted it up. Yesturday I tested my water and all was fine to go ahead and start adding fish. I was told that it is best to take it slowly adding fish so I bought 5 neon tetras and 1 assassin snail to help control the pest snails I have from my plants. I have looked in my tank this morning and the tetras seem fine but my snail still hasn't moved. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah. Took my nerite two days to get used to it. If he doesn't move in a week, pick him up and smell his trapdoor. Of it gives off a nasty smell he is dead and rotting... If not, he is alive and put him back and let him chill. :)

Ok thanks for that, I have already smelt him and he doesn't seem to smell. I'll just have to wait and see.

Assassins will often lie and wait for prey to come along by.. nothing to worry about..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks, that's a relief

I really hope so, I'm look forward to watching him assassinate the pest hahaha:)

I don't know what snails they are. They are pink with white/clear shells

Oh right, it's nice to have a name for them.I just want them gone. I can only see about 5 or 6 but I was told that if there are a few visible then there are probably a lot more hiding in the substrate.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406492694.296671.jpg here's a pic of one. Not sure if you can make it out from the pic

I think he is dead. :( he's still not moved and he had a pest snail right next to him. I'm picked him up and he did stink. I'll wait another day but it doesn't look good.

If it smells it's dead

Will it not smell at all if it is alive?

Not even a little bit, dead snails smell rotten

I don't think I did anything wrong. To be honest i never even seen him out if his shell when he was put in the bag at the pet shop. Is it likely that he was dead when I got him?

Could be.. I'd only buy snails in the future if they're on the glass.
Where are you located? I could send you some. .

Back
Top Bottom