axolotl help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorileigh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a or some axolotls but I've read that you can't have gravel as it can potential choke them, and they can't live with other fish. So I'm just curious how other axolotl owners keep theirs.

I use sand (Estes' Ultra Reef, doesn't bother chemistry at all). I keep mine with fancy goldfish and bristlenose plecos. The safest thing is to have no tankmates, but if they are chosen VERY carefully there are a couple options. Most fish will either pick at the axolotls gills or be eaten by them. Goldfish are too slow to pick at their gills and learn to avoid them (each goldfish usually gets nipped once and then learns to avoid the axolotls).

I wrote an article on axolotls that will published in TFH magazine, so if you have any other questions please ask.

Thanks heaps for that :)
I've got a spare tank, which I'm thinking I will set up as an axolotl tank, as I've got Chinese algae eater fish, tetras, goldfish and snails in my other tank. Do axolotls go well together and how much room would you need per axolotl?

What size tank is it?

They will be fine together as long as they are about the same size and have multiple places to hangout. I use PVC pipe connectors from the hardware store, but any smooth hide will work. Clay pots would be fine, and some LFSs have ceramic decorations now (fake logs, rocks, etc.) those are perfect.

Axolotl care

I am also looking into getting an axolotl for my 20g L planted tank and I am curious about a few things. :blink:

What temperature do you keep your water? Can I place gold laser cory fish and paradise gourami in with the axolotl?

I know that a lot of common freshwater fish need tropical water temperatures which is too high for the axolotl so finding companions that have similar requirements and won't fight with the axie has been difficult.

And thank you
lorileigh for starting this post ;)

Room temp is ideal, no more than about 73F.

I wouldn't do either of those fish. The tank isn't big enough, but the only thing I have found that works well with them is fancy goldfish because they are too slow to nip the axolotls without getting nipped in return.

Back
Top Bottom