Baby Biorb Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich and Nikki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have had a Baby Biorb set up for a week and a half. A full week without fish and then we added three zebra danios.
This is our first real go at keeping an aquarium, we did try several years ago but our minnows died so we gave up. We added TapSafe to begin with and the filter boost sachet that comes with the Biorb filter kit. Yesterday a danio simply disappeared. We removed the ornaments and moved the ceramic media but to no avail. Still no danio. Another of my danios looks to be on his way out now too. He stays near the bottom and isn't moving much. I have the net ready to fish this one out if needed.
If fish are dying should I continue with the cycling of it? Obviously ammonia will be high currently and I think I was over feeding them too. I haven't fed today and won't tomorrow.
I have two queries:
1. If all fish die do I add more to keep cycle going?
2. Should I water change a percentage of the tank?

Any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Baby Biorb is like - 4 gallons, right?
You may want to look into what fish you can keep in it, as zebra danios really need a bigger tank.

As for cycling, this article should help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

But my advice would be - if the fish die, rather cycle the tank using the "Fishless" method. It's possible to cycle a tank with the fish in there, as the previous article explains, but as you've experienced it can mean that those fish suffer a lot of stress and may die. The following article explains how to cycle a tank without fish

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Thanks I had read them but only after writing my original message!
What would people recommend for a 4 gallon Baby Biorb? I know it won't be many fish but I'm not looking for a huge quantity! I did fancy some small shrimp from Pets@Home but not sure how they'd cope in he Biorb with the ceramic media and 'pebbles' and whether the danios (the struggling one seemed to improve greatly) would nip them.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been reading about the baby biorb... Not finding many good report.

Not just the size, but the ceramic media and filter apparently traps small fish, or tears the fins of bettas.

Honestly, a betta is probably the only fish you can keep in there, and it's really not a great tank for a betta either.

Zebra danios are fast swimming, shoaling fish, so they really need to be with many of their friends in a much larger tank.

Shrimp might be ok, I have no experience with those.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I really think you should consider returning it, if you can. It's just not a tank that's designed to keep fish alive.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom