Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Back again! What is new?

I am back into the aquarium game. I have a 55 gallon and a stand that currently has succulents in it. I will be converting it to a freshwater tank, hopefully full of shoaling fish and maybe a pair of something more exotic with live plants.

Anyway, the point of this post is to find out what is new in the world of aquariums? Haven't ever used a canister filter but still have a hang on the back filter (rated for 50 gallons). I have one 24inch T-5 light but am very interested in new LED fixtures. Thinking about seachem flourite for the substrate but have never used it before.

Let me know what you all think, hoping to start building soon!

Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just be careful with the Flourite. It is very dusty/dirty. You will be washing it out for hours for a 55 gallon tank. I have it in my 10 gallon planted and even after 45 minutes of washing it in a 5 gallon bucket, it was still dirty. Put it in and used 2 filters to get the water clean for the next 2 days. However, after it all settled down, not an issue at all.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Just be careful with the Flourite. It is very dusty/dirty. You will be washing it out for hours for a 55 gallon tank. I have it in my 10 gallon planted and even after 45 minutes of washing it in a 5 gallon bucket, it was still dirty. Put it in and used 2 filters to get the water clean for the next 2 days. However, after it all settled down, not an issue at all.
Is there any other similar substrate you have used for live plants and enjoyed more?

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingtrees View Post
Is there any other similar substrate you have used for live plants and enjoyed more?
I think others will jump in here on what they have used to successful.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com