Back at it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well guys and gals I had a few tanks including a 75g a couple of years ago and had to get rid of it...divorce.. Anyway..... Now I'm looking at getting a tank again, unfortunately I can only get something small 10 or 20 gal. I'm also working on a very small budget, I have a few supplies that I kept, heater, AC70 filter and who knows what else. So here's my questions..

1. Would the AC70 be too much for a 20 gal, I'm very handy and make something work so water flow wouldn't be a problem.
2. Is it even worth the time to mess with a 10-20
3. Planted tank?
4. One big fish or a lot of small ones?

Thanks looking forward to do this again

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Small tank.. Go small fish. Rams, guppies, platties, tetras. AC70 is not too much depending on your fish if it likes the flow or not. I used to use an AC110 with my 20G :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of a larger school of smaller fish. I currently have a baker's dozen of Ember Tetras in a 10 gallon along with 7 Pygmy corys. More and more nano fish are appearing in the hobby, but they arent always available at the LFS.
If you decide to go the larger fish route, be sure to get something that doesn't normally require/prefer a school or shoal. a lone Tiger Barb is a sad site. ? Maybe a gourami or a couple mollys?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm leaning towards a planted tank with a school of guppies (3-4 to start) And a ram or 2 to help control population.

That sounds like a decent plan.

You can add a chunk of bulk filter media / pad and tuck it into the filter outflow about half to 3/4 the way down to the filter basket thing the AC's have so it doesn't "flow" out with the water loose into the tank. I cut the part that lays on the outflow part and kinda sits on the water like a fan shape and wider than the outflow spillway (I don't know what it is really called, lol) So the pad after being cut looks like the silhouette of a mushroom. This will reduce the flow substantially.

I think there is a $1. per gallon sale still on at Petco, and a 40G breeder tank is a great overall tank. Used is always a cost efficient way to go.

So many people who are moving will give away tanks because they run out of time and don't know what to do with them! Even more cost effective start.

Glad you are back into the hobby!

I'm leaning towards a planted tank with a school of guppies (3-4 to start) And a ram or 2 to help control population.

I have 2 rams in my 20G live bearers. Im getting tons babies.

Anyway, guppies don't school. They chase females. End of story. Lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I think the size of the fish should match the size of the tank. At 20 gals you can make a very attractive smaller version of your last tank, just scale everything down.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I saw petco has the $1 sale going on until this weekend. I would love to do a 40 gal but I don't have the space.

Still in the planning stage have no idea what I'm doing yet.

Trying to do a super cheap budget tho.

Back
Top Bottom