bacteria?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i just got a sponge from someone with a live colony...Im moving in the next week or so, but I want to keep this colony alive until i can set my tank up permanently...I was gonna fill my tank and just run the filter with this live colony just chillin in the filter. On that note, I have two questions...
A. Do i need to dechlorinate the water while it is cycling so to speak, until i break down the tank for the move?
B. Will the coal in the filter cartridge kill them (im pretty sure it doesnt)?

The charcoal will not kill the bacteria. Chlorine will.

Also, the bacteria won't survive if there is no source of ammonia in the tank. You will want to add something to keep the bacteria "fed". This could be pure ammonia, a piece of cocktail shrimp from your fridge, or even some fish food flakes every few days. It won't take much... but if you just run the filter with clean water, the colony won't last long.

fort384 said:
The charcoal will not kill the bacteria. Chlorine will.

Also, the bacteria won't survive if there is no source of ammonia in the tank. You will want to add something to keep the bacteria "fed". This could be pure ammonia, a piece of cocktail shrimp from your fridge, or even some fish food flakes every few days. It won't take much... but if you just run the filter with clean water, the colony won't last long.

Omgoodness! Thank you so much! Can I just drop in a whole cocktail shrimp?

How big is the tank first? Make sure to do so in the next few days (the bacteria starts to die off within 2-3 days without an ammonia source.)

tyspot1000 said:
How big is the tank first? Make sure to do so in the next few days (the bacteria starts to die off within 2-3 days without an ammonia source.)

My tank is 50g

yeah, probably don't need a whole one... just a little piece will do ok (like maybe the size of a finger nail). A whole 1 will smell pretty bad after a few days :p

It doesn't take much breakdown in the water to create ammonia... remember we are talking about parts per million here...

I just got the sponge today, but if I need to I can run to the grocery store for shrimp

a few pellets... what you would normally feed the fish that would fit in the tank I would say would be adequate. It doesn't have to be exact.

fort384 said:
a few pellets... what you would normally feed the fish that would fit in the tank I would say would be adequate. It doesn't have to be exact.

Thank you sooo much for your help!!

So should I let the filter run for a lil bit before I put the sponge? And should I heat the tank to the temp my fish will need or does it matter?

it doesnt need to run first so long as you used a dechlorinator in the water.

So long as the tank stays about 65 or so, it should be just fine.

Oh hey dk :) thank you, both of you! You have been most helpful :) I'm sure I'll be talking again soon...lol

Back
Top Bottom