Bacteria Additive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there.
I also use stability. for 2 weeks. Tank has not cycled yet. lfs recommended to try the Microbelift products (Special blend & Niteout II). Do you know anything about these?
With bacterial additives - I am wondering if it makes any difference if it is added directly to the water, to the back of power filter or gently added on the bio-wheel of the filter? I have a Marineland 150 with a bio-wheel & after a month I cannot identify any colonies or maybe I just don't know how to identify them???
I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this.

I've always used stability. I add 2 or 3 capfuls every time I do a PWC. I was told this by a friend of mine who helped me set up my first tank and I've just stuck with it. Now I'm thinking it's not necessary? I use prime as well.

Add it to the water to get it circulating. The bacteria will drop where they please. You won't be able to see the bacterial colonies; they are microscopic. The only way to identify them is by testing your water to see if they are doing their job.

I don't know much about bacterial additives, but in the past I had success with Bio-Spira. So you never know!

I've always used stability. I add 2 or 3 capfuls every time I do a PWC. I was told this by a friend of mine who helped me set up my first tank and I've just stuck with it. Now I'm thinking it's not necessary? I use prime as well.

Dosing everytime you do a PWC is very unnecessary. Just add dechlorinated tap water. Prime is all you need.

Marconis said:
Dosing everytime you do a PWC is very unnecessary. Just add dechlorinated tap water. Prime is all you need.

Good to know it'll save me some money!!

what do you think about the Seachem PH stabilizer which removes chlorire, chloromines & amonia? It claims that it can be used instead of a water dechlorinator.

Tap water test at 7.6-7.8 after 24 hours.
Tap water also contain ~0.5ppm amonia.
I use the API test kit.

Thanks!

I just finished cycling a 10 gallon with tetras safe start and it worked extremely well. I fed the tank with fish food for 3 days prior to adding then each day for a week after. My readings were 0 amonia 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. My ammonia usually spikes to .2 ppm when I add new fish but after a week it goes back down and I'm able to add more fish

Back
Top Bottom