bacteria cycling brand?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discus4Life

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does any one can tell me if this brand can help start cycling, NITE OUT II, I know that not all brands are good for stating the cycle,i know that stability from seachem works for sure,this bottle contains nitrosomonas sp wich are the amonia killers lol,nitrobacter sp for the nitrites,but it also brings nitrospira sp,i dont know much about this one.

I also wanna add, tanks cycled in 5 and 12 days, with fish from day1

I used Safestart with success :) Stay away from API Stress Zyme... claims to have live bacteria but doesn't work IME. Might just be a booster like it claims to be. But when you read the contains bacteria part, you'd think it work... but nope.

Yeah but what about Nite-Out II? no budy knows about if this product produce toxic hydrogen sulfide??

IMO, the bottles of stuff claiming to speed up your cycle are a waste of your money. But to each their own.
You will have better luck with already cycled filter media and substrate. With those 2 things I was able to cycle a 55g tank in 5 days, with 0 dollars.
I've never heard of Nite-out ll, but to me they are all the same. I'm not a chemist so all the things they claim are in there probably are. But the only thing that will cycle your tank faster is live bacteria, and live won't live in a bottle on a shelf for months or years. It may have been live when they put it in the bottle, so they can truthfully make the claims about bacteria, but I don't see how it could stay alive sitting on the shelf at the store.
But this is one of those things like a little salt in freshwater tanks. Some people swear by it, while other condemn it.
So this is just one women's opinion of fast cycle in a bottle products.

+1

I would personally never use "bacteria in a bottle" simply because it's a creepy concept.

That said, the only one I've ever heard people say work is Tetra SafeStart.

I used the niteout on recommendation from the lfs last year I visited. It did nothing. :-(

As mentioned above, the "bacteria in a bottle" is dubious in my opinion. How can bacteria live so long in a closed bottle? Make you wonder doesnt it? lol

Are you cycling the tank for discus?....for new tanks......I do massive water changes daily 80% to 100%.....you can have the tank running by feeding the discus slowly for the first two weeks(small feeds twice a day) the beneficial bacteria will slowly be introduce into the tank without the aid of using chemicals.

I started in this hobby about a month ago and having read through numerous forums, I could not help but notice this trend of resistance towards 'bacteria in a bottle' despite evidence by many users to the contrary.

I am a first year mathematical biology student and one of the first things you begin to realize is that life is profoundly adaptive; able to adapt and survive in extremely hostile (depths of the oceans/lava) to rich and fertile environments.

The popular argument against products like safestart is 'it's not plausible that bacteria could survive', usually with the added caveat 'I'm not a scientist' is both rather dubious and entirely ignorant. When everything I see in the world around me points me to the opposite. That life can certainly survive in a bottle, obviously not indefinitely, but certainly long enough for you to seed your aquarium. It seems you all are flying in the face of important advances in the aquarium trade in the name of some sort of sanctimonious affinity for fish less cycling. It boggled my mind.

This is akin to refusing to believe the world is round, that debit cards actually work, or there could be flowing water on mars. If we can evolve bacteria to metabolize a different substance, or map the human genome, is it really far fetched scientists would have the capacity to have bacteria survive in a bottle for a finite amount of time? Really?

To each his own is certainly right, but I'll leave you with this: fish less cycling has been proven to work, and certain bacteria products have also been proven to work. If you want to speedup the process and have fish in your aquarium from day 1 (technically day 2), it certainly won't hurt anybody (not even fish, assuming we value their lives, which is entirely boggling to me as well) to give a product like safestart a try.

Regards,

As mentioned above, the "bacteria in a bottle" is dubious in my opinion. How can bacteria live so long in a closed bottle? Make you wonder doesnt it? lol

I'm not a chemist so all the things they claim are in there probably are. But the only thing that will cycle your tank faster is live bacteria, and live won't live in a bottle on a shelf for months or years. It may have been live when they put it in the bottle, so they can truthfully make the claims about bacteria, but I don't see how it could stay alive sitting on the shelf at the store.
But this is one of those things like a little salt in freshwater tanks. Some people swear by it, while other condemn it.
So this is just one women's opinion of fast cycle in a bottle products.

Actually it's nothing like the 'little salt in freshwater tanks' thing. Certain products have been proven to work, whether people agree with them or not. Most don't work, but some do, and it's been verified time and again.

As to how bacteria can live in a bottle? Well there are a few reasons. First off, the questionable products use a type of heterotrophic bacteria that has a spore form, which means it can be stored for extended periods of time, even dry.

These are not the same bacteria that naturally cycle a tank, unfortunately, but they do 'live' in a bottle.

The correct species of nitrifiers that are commonly found in aquaria are autotrophs, and do not have a spore form. They can, however, live for several months dormant in storage assuming they aren't exposed to temperature extremes. It's possible that certain companies have figured out how to stabilize them even more for a longer shelf life, but that part I'm not 100% sure about since a lot of it is proprietary information.

I prefer the seeded media route also since it is by far the best method of transfer, plus it's a lot cheaper than these bacteria supplements. (the correct ones tend to cost a bit more than the others)

We are all entitled to an opinion, but all I ask for anyone interested is to please do some research on the subject to be better informed, because pure conjecture just perpetuates misinformation.

I started in this hobby about a month ago...

it certainly won't hurt anybody (not even fish, assuming we value their lives, which is entirely boggling to me as well) to give a product like safestart a try.

While I respect your opinion, as I do the opinion of everyone on this forum, I don't have to agree with it. You might try the same tactic. Don't treat us like imbeciles because we're not scientists.

As you stated, you started keeping fish a month ago. I'm not sure why, as you indicate that it boggles your mind that we value their lives. But it's a fascinating hobby and perhaps you'll grow to love your fish as we love ours.

Many of us are speaking from decades of experience when we offer an opinion. In the couple of fish forums I belong to, I've heard many more horror stories of people losing their fish compared to those who had success using Safe Start as well as other so-called bacteria products.

I used a bottle of safe start or aquasafe i cant remember which and it has left a white silk like substance on the bottom of my tank there was white clumpy stuff in the bottom of the bottle ???? pic in the thred white silk in general disscusions ???

I started in this hobby about a month ago and having read through numerous forums, I could not help but notice this trend of resistance towards 'bacteria in a bottle' despite evidence by many users to the contrary.

I am a first year mathematical biology student and one of the first things you begin to realize is that life is profoundly adaptive; able to adapt and survive in extremely hostile (depths of the oceans/lava) to rich and fertile environments.

The popular argument against products like safestart is 'it's not plausible that bacteria could survive', usually with the added caveat 'I'm not a scientist' is both rather dubious and entirely ignorant. When everything I see in the world around me points me to the opposite. That life can certainly survive in a bottle, obviously not indefinitely, but certainly long enough for you to seed your aquarium. It seems you all are flying in the face of important advances in the aquarium trade in the name of some sort of sanctimonious affinity for fish less cycling. It boggled my mind.

This is akin to refusing to believe the world is round, that debit cards actually work, or there could be flowing water on mars. If we can evolve bacteria to metabolize a different substance, or map the human genome, is it really far fetched scientists would have the capacity to have bacteria survive in a bottle for a finite amount of time? Really?

To each his own is certainly right, but I'll leave you with this: fish less cycling has been proven to work, and certain bacteria products have also been proven to work. If you want to speedup the process and have fish in your aquarium from day 1 (technically day 2), it certainly won't hurt anybody (not even fish, assuming we value their lives, which is entirely boggling to me as well) to give a product like safestart a try.

Regards,

Okay, being that you want to be extremely rude and a hyper intelligent scientist you might want to get beyond your first year to argue pro or con for anything and actually provide evidence.

I could say that we, as humans, and every other living species progressed from micro-bacteria and survived on Earth being that odds were against us. See, there now I am qualified to make everyone feel inferior to me on this forum because of logic and the realization that organisms can survive and thrive even against the worst of odds. The fact that you are a first year math/bio student means nothing.

Secondly, if you claim that you don't understand the importance of life (fish life) why are you referring to this as your "hobby"?

Thirdly, referring to bacteria thriving in a bottle that require light, ammonia, and food (I'm know I'm not using the big words that you would like but bear with me) is not even remotely close to arguing that the world is flat. You realize that infallible logic is the worst form of argument? The only reason you ASSUME this to work is because people have had success with it when, as a science major, you should know that there are hundreds of variables that could have contributed to the success. You also assume this works because you've read a couple posts saying it works or have read the bottle, which is a GREAT source of accurate information. Now, your own argument has been turned against you because you too assume that it DOES work based on what you've read or heard.

Also, don't come here in here to make everyone feel miniscule and ignorant just because you have some internal complex about being a scientist. I would have had no problem with your post if you hadn't tried to supersede everyone and make yourself seem like the next Chris Langen.

I will leave YOU with this my friend. Don't come into these forums raving about the ingorance of people who don't use these products and try to make everyone seem inferior to yourself and those who use these products. Whether they work or not is debatable, but we know for a FACT that it can be done without them.

Regards

I used a safestart in an emergency once, it seemed to help, tank was cycled a week later. I wouldnt use it to cycle normally however.

Jeez, you guys are implying tone or something because the guy is making valid points. Sure he could be more eloquent, but still, I don't think he was throwing around his biology background as some sort of wrecking ball.

He does have a point, if someone says they basically have no idea what the products do or how they work, but then continue to go on and tell you how they can't possibly work, it's definitely a cause for concern.

There is actual science that backs some of these products, they are proven, so its far more than pure conjecture.

If there is any real arguments as to why bacteria-in-bottle products cannot work, then I'm more than willing to hear them.

Everyone, it was just Digitallinh's opinion. I'm sure that he/she wasn't attempting to offend you. And people can have fish in aquariums even if they don't "value" the life of a fish (personally, I don't value the life of a fish, however I do respect it as life) it's a personal opinion, wether to use bacteria-in-a-bottle or not to. Because both methods have their own advantage. :)

usually with the added caveat 'I'm not a scientist' is both rather dubious and entirely ignorant.

This was the flavor I found to be tasteless. Pretty sure I didn't read anything in to it..... you know, being the non-scientist that I am. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom