Bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, so I already have a 20 gallon established tank, which has:

2 zebra snails
2 zebra danios
1 cory catfish
6 platys

Due to the fact that I have 2 pregnant platys, I bought another 20 gallon tank, same equipment. Now I know it'll take awhile for the second 20 gallon to cycle. What I did is, I took the old filter cartridge out of my first tank and put it in my new tank. Also, I'm using stability to kick start the cycle. I've had the new tank running since Saturday and still no sign of the ammonia to start the cycle. Should I have not put my old filter cartridge in there?

(The filter cartridge had to be changed out of the first one because it was literally falling apart so I figured I'd put it in the new tank for awhile because it has all the bacteria)

I often use media from an established tank to kick start the cycle on a new tank. If the cycle hasn't started, it may be that the media you used was too degraded to hold much bacteria. You might try adding a bit of ammonia to get it going.
Some unsolicited advice; I hope you don't mind:your danios and your cory will both be much happier if you increase their group size to 5 or 6 fish each. They're both schooling species.

I often use media from an established tank to kick start the cycle on a new tank. If the cycle hasn't started, it may be that the media you used was too degraded to hold much bacteria. You might try adding a bit of ammonia to get it going.
Some unsolicited advice; I hope you don't mind:your danios and your cory will both be much happier if you increase their group size to 5 or 6 fish each. They're both schooling species.
I know that. The zebra danios were my starting fish I had a school of them but I lost them, and I don't want to by anymore of those. The 2 that are left though are happy and their colors are bright. But yeah I have the old media running in the new tank and stability. I want to try to get this new tank cycled as quick as possible so I have it ready for when I separate the males and females of platys

Did you let the new filter cartridge sit in the filter with the old for a while, or just swap it out?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you let the new filter cartridge sit in the filter with the old for a while, or just swap it out?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I let it set for an hour or so. But the new filter cartridge isn't what I'm worried about. It's the new tank I have the old cartridge in the new tank. All the bacteria is on the old one. The new tank didn't start cycling

I'm a bit confused. Are the fish in the new tank or old ? If they are still in the old tank you will have to add an ammonia source. Either 1 or 2 fish, or you can add the ammonia yourself, the ammonia won't just show up in a new tank... Your gonna want about 2ppm of ammonia to start with and you'll want to keep it at that level until nitrites show up when tested. Once you have nitrites, then start to test for nitrates. When you can read nitrates your tank should be cycled and safe for fish. Don't add ammonia to a tank with fish in it... Hope this helps. Good luck.

I'm a bit confused. Are the fish in the new tank or old ? If they are still in the old tank you will have to add an ammonia source. Either 1 or 2 fish, or you can add the ammonia yourself, the ammonia won't just show up in a new tank... Your gonna want about 2ppm of ammonia to start with and you'll want to keep it at that level until nitrites show up when tested. Once you have nitrites, then start to test for nitrates. When you can read nitrates your tank should be cycled and safe for fish. Don't add ammonia to a tank with fish in it... Hope this helps. Good luck.
The fish are in the old tank. So should I put some fish in my new tank until I get ammonia then remove them? If not, what ammonia can I add in? I don't want any fish to go through a cycle.

You can add household pure ammonia or I've cycled a tank before by adding the poop and uneaten food from gravel vacuuming the original tank. That decays to produce ammonia.

You can add household pure ammonia or I've cycled a tank before by adding the poop and uneaten food from gravel vacuuming the original tank. That decays to produce ammonia.
I don't think I have pure ammonia. I sprinkled some fish flakes in the new tank. I'm hoping that'll help. There's no fish in it to eat it

You can cycle with flakes. Its an old school method which I still use. Cause im old lol. Problem is it takes a loooong time. Its nearly impossible to know how much ammonia your creating. With many years experience I cycled my current 10g in 9 wks with flakes.

You can cycle with flakes. Its an old school method which I still use. Cause im old lol. Problem is it takes a loooong time. Its nearly impossible to know how much ammonia your creating. With many years experience I cycled my current 10g in 9 wks with flakes.
Do you know of any ammonia additives which are reliable?

Dr tims or Tetra safe start plus are widely used with and without additional ammonia.

Dr tims or Tetra safe start plus are widely used with and without additional ammonia.
Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution for Cycling Aquariums, 2-oz bottle. Is that something to use? I found it online.

Hey everyone. I added the ammonia two days ago and I still see no sign of ammonia in the new tank. Why can't I get the tank to cycle?

Sounds cycled to me....Knowing if nitrates were going up would confirm.

Back
Top Bottom