Barbs or angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robgill35

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 35 gallon tank with 3 glo fish tetras 1 black mollie 2 silver dollars 1 neon tetra , mono, blue dwarf guarami and a ret tail shark. I got rid of a gold guarami he was very agressive . He ate 5 neon tetra and 2 angel fish. Now I just saw my fancy guppy was dead. I think it is the shark. I really want angel fish or barbs. One or the other. Do I get rid of the shark?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410920726.389505.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Red tail sharks are known to be quite aggressive so I wouldn't be surprised if he did your guppie in. I would say go with the barbs because the red tail shark may do the same to any angelfish. Angelfish may also eat any fish that are small enough, so that is something to consider as well.

Thanks sooo much. I think I might take the shark and the mono back. Will angels be ok then?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know too much about monos. If you would rather have angelfish than barbs then they may be alright in the tank without the shark. If you decide to get them, monitor the fish for a few days to see how they react in the tank. Sometimes territorial fish will feel like other fish are in their space even if your tank isn't technically "overstocked". Keep in mind that both angelfish and barbs are classified as semi-aggressive, so as long as you keep about 4 in the tank, the other fish may not bother them.

I would get more tetras instead and I think think silver dollars get large and need schools but I'm no sure on them

Fishobsessed7

Just a FYI mono fish are brackish and need salt

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Silver dollars cannot live comfortably in a thirty gallon. I would get rid of the mono, the silver dollars, and the shark and get 5 more neons and 3 more glo tetras.

I have a 29 gal with a red tail shark and a pair of angels - they do fine together. My shark might be a weirdo, but he spends most of his time in a trreehouse deco, and only comes out to eat. When he does, he chases the angels around a bit, but doesn't try and eat them or anything.

Back
Top Bottom