BB are growing!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

js198027

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am doing a fish less cycle on a 15 gal tank. It is eating up 4ppm ammo in about a day and a half
ammo=.25
Trite=5+
Trate=80+
pH= a steady 8.4

my question is should I just re-dose ammo or should i change some water to get the nitrites back to a readable range?

started this cycle on 2/24. This is pretty exciting!

A water change won't hurt anything, but I would just dose the ammonia back up and continue to test daily. Congratulations on having ammonia drop and having nitrites! Now you're waiting for the ammonia to zero out, and also for the nitrite to zero out, and then for both to zero out within 24 hours of dosing.

Water changes during fishless cycling are usually only recommended if a pH crash occurs or if ammonia is accidentally dosed too high. It doesn't hurt anything, though :)

Good luck! :D

I wouldn't waste your money on dosing at this point. I would argue that you would just be wasting your money. If it were me, I would change the water and go from there. Eventually everything will level out and be perfect without wasting your money! :)

I wouldn't waste your money on dosing at this point. I would argue that you would just be wasting your money. If it were me, I would change the water and go from there. Eventually everything will level out and be perfect without wasting your money! :)

If the bb (beneficial bacteria) aren't fed with an ammonia source, they will die.... that means no cycled tank.

If the bb (beneficial bacteria) aren't fed with an ammonia source, they will die.... that means no cycled tank.
The BB will come in time, there is no point in rushing things during this important first step. (we can go on for hours with this, I don't see the point though) :D

The BB will come in time, there is no point in rushing things during this important first step. (we can go on for hours with this, I don't see the point though) :D

I respectfully disagree, xtra :) Perhaps a 3rd party (and more) can come along and offer you their advice, js :D

In my opinion (and it is my opinion that I am offering), the bacteria will not survive (nor would they have formed) without an ammonia source. It sounds like you already own the ammonia anyway, so just keep dosing as I mentioned previously :) I have just completed a fishless cycle successfully with a 50 gallon tank in my home in 10 days (with the help from a small bit of established media) via this method (the same method I link to in my signature below).

I respectfully disagree, xtra :) Perhaps a 3rd party (and more) can come along and offer you their advice, js :D

In my opinion (and it is my opinion that I am offering), the bacteria will not survive (nor would they have formed) without an ammonia source. It sounds like you already own the ammonia anyway, so just keep dosing as I mentioned previously :) I have just completed a fishless cycle successfully with a 50 gallon tank in my home in 10 days (with the help from a small bit of established media) via this method (the same method I link to in my signature below).

Fair enough! Thanks for being respectful! Mozcheez's information is very good, I just don't agree.....hahahahaha :banghead:

I agree with Mozcheez- you need to continue dosing ammonia daily when drops below 2ppm to keep the bacteria fed & happy. Without a food source (ammonia), they will starve & you will defeat the whole purpose of doing a fishless cycle in the first place. The intention of a fishless cycle is to grow sufficient bacteria to handle ammonia & nitrite.

In respect to doing a water change right now, it isnt necessary yet but it will not hurt anything to do one. If your nitrites persist in being this high after @2wks time, a water change is definitely needed to bring them under control (readable- 2ppm or less). If you do a water change, just make sure you use properly conditioned, temperature-matched water. Ohterwise, your cycle looks great & is progressing very well! :)

I believe my cycle is complete. Turned 4ppm ammo into 0 ammo 0 nitrite in 24 hours. has done this last 3 days now. I continue to re dose until we decide what fish we are going to get. We would like to get some Barbs but not sure what else we can stock with them. Any suggestions?

Congrats!! When you decide to purchase fish, either the day before or the morning of, you will need to skip the ammonia & do a big water change to drop your nitrates down to your tap level. It may take more than one water change. Make sure you use temperature-matched, properly conditioned water for the changes. Adjust your temp to the proper level if it was cranked up. If your not familiar with the process, check out U-tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimation'. Im sure others will help you out with some stocking suggestions! :)

Looks good, congrats!

What kind of barbs? Larger ones like Tiger Barbs can be aggressive and need larger schools and they can get fairly large so a 15 gal wouldn't be suitable. Cherry barbs are smaller but not sure if they can be aggressive also and they might like a larger tank; if you're planning to upgrade then you might be able to try them. Maybe someone with experience with them can elaborate.

For a 15 gal you might consider a school of harlequin rasbora or some sort of tetra like cardinals. You could also do a group of a smaller Cory like Pandas or Pygmys. You could then add a centerpiece fish, something like a Dwarf Gourami maybe. And if you wanted shrimp and/or some snails for variety that would work too.

Reactions: jlk
We were thinking tiger Barbs so i guess those are out. I like the idea of the cories and the gourami not sure she is sold on the yet. You think I can do a school of tetras with those? And I had been considering snails after hearing a lot of folks mention them. They will clean the tank with out much bio load impact? and is there much concern about them getting out of the tank say thru the opening of the HOB filter?? I have this vision of the crawling all over. What kind of snails would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions

Tetras should be fine with them, but research the type of tetra you want (or ask here) just to be sure. Snails are great! I suggest nerite snails; their shells have pretty patterns and they can't breed in freshwater so you won't be overrun with them. I have 3 in my tank and they're fun to watch. Mine haven't tried to climb out yet (I have two openings in my hood for the filter outtake and intake).

Well we brought home 3 Rhomb Barbs last night. Not sure if this was a mistake. I googled the little guys and it looks like we may be ok. they are fun to watch. Pretty sure we will get some snails also but should we wait till there is algae growth? or would they be okay with some algae tabs?

Any suggestions on where to order Nerite snails from. Petco gets 30 bucks for shipping.

I haven't ventured into the world of snails yet, so I'm no help. But I'm bumping this for you because I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with suggestions :) How did the Rhomb Barbs work out? I had to google those, they are pretty interesting looking!

Did you check the classifieds here on AA? I would check out aquabid as well- you may find a better price.

The Barbs are really neat. They are real fast and when they eat they go crazy. We only have three. I think I would be safe with five but going to hold off for now don't want to over crowd things. I will check classifieds for the snails. Thanks

I like natural looking tanks! You should do a theme because you have so much open to you in a 15 gal. You could do an interesting "clear build" with a massive colony of ghost shrimp in a heavily planted/caved bottom and ghost catfish along with a centerpiece red apistogramma.. Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom