Beginner 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlkirby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am on day three of cycling my newly established 75 gallon freshwater.

I am running a cascade 1000 filter system and have added the stress+coat on the first day. I have also put in the nutrafin cycle biological aquarium supplement for the last three days. All I have thus far is water and gravel, no plants or fish...yet.

As a newbie, I have checked the levels of my tank at least twice a day. The readings this morning were:

NO3: 5
NO2: 0
Hardness: Very Hard
Chlorine: 0
KH: High
PH: 7.8

Are these safe levels for starter fish or do I need to do something to stabilize before I introduce fish?

Thanks!!!!

Welcome to AA!

I would have to say no. 3 days in not long enough to start and finish you cycle, even if you wanted to add hardy beginner fish. Why aren't you testing for ammonia? <- This is also vital to be testing when it comes to cycling, maintaining, etc.

The thing about adding bacterial additives (Nutrafin cycle) to a newly started tank is that it needs to be added when fish are added (I am not encouraging you to do that though. It will be a lot of work doing water changes and etc just to keep your fish alive through the cycle). When you add the bottled bacteria (Nutrafin cycle) to the tank, it slowly dies off (Within 2-3 days) because the lack of food (Ammonia). So really, your just kinda wasting your money using it.

Enjoy the forum :)

An ammonia reading is critical at this point. If the filter came off a previously established tank, you could be good to go. If it was a new filter, I seriously doubt the tank is ready. Read the fishless cycling link in my signature. It'll save you a lot of time, effort, and stress.

You know, I just now realized the stuff I have doesn't test for ammonia! Grrrr

I'm going to take a sample to my LFS anyway and have them test it before I buy fish!

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Please dont trust your LFS, unless you are so lucky to have a great one. But most of the LFS will see you like that : $$$$$$$, versus taking care of your fish in the long term.

Trust your own readings, trust your research, and trust the support from real experienced fish keepers that you will find in this forum such as the ones that gave you advice already here.

You know, I just now realized the stuff I have doesn't test for ammonia! Grrrr

I'm going to take a sample to my LFS anyway and have them test it before I buy fish!

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

I would recommend not to let the Petstore test for you, they will possibly lie to you and con you into buying something. It is better to go out and buy a single liquid test kit that only tests for ammonia.

Mlkirby, you might want to get the API freshwater master kit (highly recommended here), it is very affordable and it is one of the most accurate kit around. And it carries all the test you needed to have a healthy aquarium. Just a thought.

daileene said:
Mlkirby, you might want to get the API freshwater master kit (highly recommended here), it is very affordable and it is one of the most accurate kit around. And it carries all the test you needed to have a healthy aquarium. Just a thought.

Thank you!

Is there a specific place that carries this kit or any petstore/LFS?

The guy that helped me at the petstore said since I'm just a beginner, that I don't need the big kits but that the test strips would work just fine for what I wanted to do. I'm thinking...he was wrong!!!

Thank you!

The guy that helped me at the petstore said since I'm just a beginner, that I don't need the big kits but that the test strips would work just fine for what I wanted to do. I'm thinking...he was wrong!!!

A local petco or Petsmart should have one. Also check any Fish stores if they have any.

Thank you!

You are always welcome...That is what we are here for. I had the strips too before. But as my experience is concern, the strips are not as accurate as the liquid test. So that's why this specific master kit are mostly recommended by the members here. I can assure you, it is worth every penny. ;-)

+1 on the liquid kit vs the strips.

Also, you should read up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already. From your earliest post it looked like you had just the tank set-up with no fish and no ammonia source, that will not cycle your tank because you need an ammonia source to do so. If you cycle with fish (which I, like many others on this forum, do not recommend) then the ammonia comes from fish waste, if you fishless cycle then you have to add ammonia in the form of 10% ammonium hydroxide that is "pure" meaning it has no detergents, fragrances or surfactants added to it. I got mine at ACE.

Anyway, read up on those things and feel free to ask as many questions as you need =)

Also, I have a 75gal myself and if you don't have one do yourself a favor and get a python it is well worth it!

So we are officially fish ready!

I got the API test kit yesterday. Other than the pH being a little high (7.8), everything is at 0 ppm. I'm going to retest again this morning just to be sure.

I did get my decorations and heater yesterday. It looks like it's setting right at 78 degrees. I have the thermometer that sticks to the glass but I might upgrade to something different. I like accuracy!!!

Anyway...here is a few pics of the newly updated tank!!!

Attachments

• image-306919355.jpg
    image-306919355.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1991306777.jpg
    image-1991306777.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1738694022.jpg
    image-1738694022.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image-280713124.jpg
    image-280713124.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 90
I don't think you're ready for fish yet. Those parameter readings are misleading. Read the fishless cycling link in my signature. You'll need to dose some ammonia and have the tank convert it to nitrate in 24 hours or less before you're ready for fish.

BigJim said:
I don't think you're ready for fish yet. Those parameter readings are misleading. Read the fishless cycling link in my signature. You'll need to dose some ammonia and have the tank convert it to nitrate in 24 hours or less before you're ready for fish.

I have the API test and it's showing no ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. I've tested it this morning and all the levels are holding!

I have the API test and it's showing no ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. I've tested it this morning and all the levels are holding!

That would be due to the fact that no ammonia has entered your tank to prep it. We are not being a**es, we just want to see you succeed. Learn from our mistakes. Trust us. If you were to put fish in now, you would likely see that ammonia spike off the charts within 5-7 days, and then you are doing 30-50% daily water changes to keep your fish safe. That's a lot of water in a 75 gallon, and if you are using buckets, god help your back. Go to the supermarket, grab 2 raw shrimp, toss them in the tank, and let the process work for a few weeks. I know your excited about being an aquarist, but do it in a way that will be humane for the fish involved.

+1 redfisher.

You need to cycle your tank. It's the most boring and time consuming part of this all, but you have to do it. For you and your fish.

Your tank looks great, 75G is like a dream for me, I just have a 26G.

For the benefit of your fish and your tank in the long run.... please listen to the great advice provided above....

Adding the fish right now will require a big committment from your part to do frequent Partial Water changes, sometimes could be daily water changes.....at the end of the road it is your decision, here people is just trying to help you succeed.

Agreed the tank is not ready for fish.

Back
Top Bottom