Beginner and new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speckles69uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hobby and just wondered if I could get a little input from you all.

I recently purchased a second hand juwell tank measuring 60cm x 30cm x 40cm, which also included a heater, aerator some ornaments and used filter. The previous owner said that they had it running quite recently and have just upgraded to a larger tank. I've washed the tank and all ornaments with hot water and added some water to the filter, trying not to rinse, hoping that I could preserve some of the bacteria. After setting up the tank and washing and adding gravel I added the required amount of API tap water conditioner. I also added ammonia to the tank using an online calculator so that the amount should have been 3.0ppm. I also purchased a bottle of nutrafin cycle out of curiosity and the hope of giving a boost to the cycle. I added the suggested amount written on the bottle.

After 24 hours I took my first readings using the API freshwater master test kit. The results were as follows:

pH 7.6
High range ph 7.4
Ammonia 3.0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate (Color was slightly orange, not yellow - between 0ppm and 5.0ppm)

I did not add any ammonia, but did add the suggested amount of nutrafin cycle.

The next day (today), I took readings again and they were as follows:

pH 7.6
Ammonia 3.0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

I did not add any ammonia, but did add the suggested amount of nutrafin cycle for day 3.

I realise it is still very early days, but was just hoping somebody maybe able to explain the rise in nitrate readings at this stage. I assumed they would have been 0. I'm also thinking this nutrafin cycle is rubbish, as it hasn't done what it says, the ammonia levels are still the same. Good job I researched about the nitrogen cycle and haven't put any poor little fish in yet. I realise it will be a while yet, but I'm excited for when I can get my fish in there.

Does anybody have any suggestions for which fish I could start with for a tank this size?

Apologies for the length of this post. Thank you for taking the time to read it

Hi and welcome to AA!
Looks like you have everything covered so far. It's just a waiting game at this point. Have you tested your tap water for nitrate? I suspect that's where it's coming from; either that or maybe from the used filter media.
Your tank is about 20 gals, maybe a bit less, not a bad size to start with--you have some options for fish. A shoal of small schooling fish like tetras or danios. Depending on your substrate, maybe a group of smaller corys like panda (they need sand or smooth substrate otherwise their barbels could get damaged). You could visit some local fish stores and note the fish you like, then research them to see if they would be good for your tank. You can ask here also. Good luck with your cycle!

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. As you suggested, I've now tested my tap water for Nitrate and the reading was Just off yellow, so I'm assuming somewhere between 0 and 5.0ppm. I've taken readings again today, and they are as follows:

pH 7.6
Ammonia 3.0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate (Between 10ppm and 20ppm)

So the nitrate levels are rising, but the ammonia not as yet. I'm guessing maybe the filter media or the nutrafin cycle has affected the nitrate levels in some way.

I've not added any ammonia or nutrafin cycle today, I'll check how it's doing again tomorrow.

I have a gravel substrate on the bottom, the premium one from pets at home, so I won't opt for the corys, don't want them to get hurt. At some point I wouldn't mind putting in a snail, maybe the odd shrimp. I'll have to get some more research done, so that I put in fish that would be compatible. What is your opinion on putting in a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnows, probably about 6, with a cooler temperature and what other fish get along well? Apologies for all the questions, I just want to make a good start for the little ones.

Thanks again for your reply and advice, it's highly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom