Beginner cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazman18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So im new to this forum(not sure if im posting in right place) and have a few cycling question. I have a 10 gallon tank I set up a few days ago, I know I should have gotten a bigger tank it has been over 2 days, ive been doing fishless cycle and the water is getting cloudy. idk if its good or bad. I added some start zyme or something chlorniated the water, And put PH in it. Does the cloudiness mean that the cyling is working? And when should I add fish because I hear a million different ways. I have tested the water and its all been looking somwhat normal I think. So basically if this forum makes any sense right now is cloudy water normal, how long do I let the tank run with out fish and any other steps needed. Oh and what fish are good for that size tank. Thanks lolol

Hi kazman,
The cloudiness could be a couple of things, but it is very normal yes :)
Have a read through this in terms of cycling:

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

A couple of questions, what is your substrate (the material you've used for the bottom of the tank, most people use sand of gravel)? And did you rinse it before putting it in?

And also what is your tap water's pH? If you tap water's pH is between 6 and 8 naturally then there isn't really a great need to add pH 'changers' in. Most fish you choose stock will get used to your tap water's conditions, provided you use a suitable dechlorinator (most like use Seachem's "Prime", but there's many different types out there) and acclimate them properly when introducing them to your aquarium.

Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
What equipment are you using? (heater, filter, lights etc)?

Every tank is different in terms of how long it takes to cycle. Some go by quickly, others take months. If start zyme is the product you used, I think that's a 'bacteria in a bottle' product, and should help speed up your cycle if it does what it claims. People tend to have mixed success with such products.

10 gallons limits your stocking choices, but there are still so many choices that makes it hard to offer suggestions. A honey gourami or sparkling gourami are good choices as centrepiece fish, or maybe a betta if you choose the right tankmates and the betta you choose has an easygoing nature. This could be with some of the smaller corydoras species (such as pygmy), or kuhli loaches for a catfish/bottom feeder type of fish. Then a small school, such as neon tetras. Just be sure the fish you choose stay small (within a few inches) and are not active (like zebra danios).

Other fish you could consider are killifish, smaller tetras and rasboras, nano fish, threadfin rainbowfish, smaller male livebearers (guppies or endlers)

There is a site called AqAdvisor that is very handy in figuring out how many and what kind of fish you can have. It's not 100% accurate but it's better than others, you should just want to check back here with your stocking plans though.

I'd suggest to stay away from fish such as angelfish, goldfish, oscars, other 'cichlids' (even if they do look good) and plecos, even the smaller varieties. These are often put into tanks that are too small as people have misconceptions about what these fish can live in, or pet store employees misinform customers.

The best advice is to research every kind of fish that you plan to get thoroughly, and don't rely on 'guidelines' - for example the 1 inch per gallon guideline isn't overly accurate. Don't always trust what the salesperson at your local pet store tells you. Any questions can often be better answered by us here on the forum and that'll help you have success with keeping your aquarium :)

Good luck!

I use gravel and I rinsed it. And my tap water ph is around 7.8-8.4. My tank has 5-15 wisper filter, 10-30 heater, and I also have a airstone in the tank. I have a 5 in 1 test strips it kinda sucks I think hard to compare colors sometimes. And today my nitrate 20-40, nitrite 1.0-3.0, total hardness 300, total alkaline300, and ph around 8.4. Kinda rounded them numbers because sometimes hard to compare color. But its been going for exactly 2 days now. Also what is total hardness and alkaline, and what is that saposed to be at?

I use gravel and I rinsed it. And my tap water ph is around 7.8-8.4. My tank has 5-15 wisper filter, 10-30 heater, and I also have a airstone in the tank. I have a 5 in 1 test strips it kinda sucks I think hard to compare colors sometimes. And today my nitrate 20-40, nitrite 1.0-3.0, total hardness 300, total alkaline300, and ph around 8.4. Kinda rounded them numbers because sometimes hard to compare color. But its been going for exactly 2 days now. Also what is total hardness and alkaline, and what is that saposed to be at?

Ah ok. Well it might be ok to continue using pH down for now, but when it runs out I'd recommend using peat moss in the filter or adding some driftwood or plants. These are
Natural "pH lower-ers" and work in the long term rather than adding pH down to every water change

You could continue using test strips but I'd recommend getting API liquid test kits whenever you can. They're found to be more accurate :)

The cloudiness is common in tanks that are cycling. It's known as a bacteria bloom, and so long as there's no fish in then it's a good sign.

Have a read of this article: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/.../water-hardness-ph-freshwater-aquarium-73276/

If you start with more common, hardier species, your hardness and alkalinity probably won't be an issue you'll have to deal with, so long as its not extreme. I'm guessing your hardness puts you somewhere around medium, not entirely sure though. As far as alkalinity goes i can't help there either sorry, I've read over 4-6dH is advisable but I'm not sure about your reading. If I had to guess I'd say yours is low though, with the pH you're getting.

Right now you don't need to worry about ph unless it gets to 6.5 or below as this affects cycling. Don't use the ph product. Once your tank cycles you won't have to worry about higher ph unless you are keeping wild caught or certain specialty fish like discus.

Test strips are not always the most accurate so getting an API master test kit is advisable.

Also in order to get a true tap ph reading you need to get a glass of tap water and either aerate it or stir the water off and on for 24 hours. Once it sits and gasses off for 24 hours then take the ph reading and this is your taps ph.

Back
Top Bottom