Beginner Help!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xlarronlx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, i'm new to aquariums. I purchased my first aquarium today which is a 6ft column tank 18" wide. Im looking to set this up as a freshwater tank as i have heard this is most suitable for beginners.

My question is basically... where do i go from here such as, type of fish/equipment/cleaning.

I would like someone to be able to tell me the pros/cons of this type of tank and ways i can make this tank easy for me to manage.

The more advice i receive the better really.

Thanks, Arron (new member)

One thing I can immediately see is a surface area problem. Water surface area is important for carbon dioxide to oxygen exchange. Usually that is more difficult in a tall narrow tank.

I know they are difficulties with these types of tanks and would love for someone to write me a guide on how to make this tank work correctly without devastating problems. Does anyone know a guide that is already been posted?

I am purchasing this item at 6PM (GMT) and dont want to buy it to regret it... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP? :)

Heres a great guide to starting a fw tank! It covers all the basics and more. Unfortunately, I do not experience with this particular type of tank but hopefully others that do will chime in! make sure you spend lots of time researching the stock you are considering as certain species of fish are more suited to this type of tank design than others (deep vs long).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I know they are difficulties with these types of tanks and would love for someone to write me a guide on how to make this tank work correctly without devastating problems. Does anyone know a guide that is already been posted?

I am purchasing this item at 6PM (GMT) and dont want to buy it to regret it... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP? :)

When you are looking to stock it, disregard the volume, and stock according to its footprint. It's not going to be easy to find stock that are both small enough for that footprint and able to live at that depth. I think its going to end up looking quite empty unfortunately :(

Honestly, I think that you would be better off buying a different tank for a number of reasons.

1. How are you going to reach into it to do aquascaping?
2. How easy will it be to clean this tank?
3. There will be a lack of decorations that can reach a 5ish ft height leaving the tank bare looking
4. Stocking - At the very best you are probably looking at stocking fish that can fit in a 20g tank. This is a very restrictive stocking list and you can cross gouramis and bettas off of it.
5. Equipment - You will need a very robust lighting system to even begin to light this tank up not to mention the power heads / filter

This isn't a tank I would pick as a beginner to the hobby. It can definitely be done, it is just a lot of trouble for a tank with that particular foot print. If you do decide to do it though, keep us updated with pictures. I'd love to see it.

I have taken to this tank now its up and looking nice as part of my decoration in my living room. Yesterday, I took a chance and rang pets at home store line. Luckily for me, the woman who answered my call has the same tank :) she said that with hers at first she had plenty of fish. She had two heaters either side of the tank and had an external filter instead of an internal one. I currently have an internal, would you suggest for me to have external instead?

The fish she had were small school fish. Bottom feeders, middle feeders and top feeders which made her tank a lot more stocked than what I was advised.

If anyone does have a tank like mine or know someone who does, please feel free to message me with images and advice.

Thanks, Arron.

Back
Top Bottom