beginner here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i just recently bought a tank kit. it came with a whisper power filter 5- 15 a 10 gallon tank with hood and lights. i bought some rocks and plastic plants and a hideout. i know the filter has 2 stages the mechanical and chemical but i'm not sure about the biological. i'm considering getting a red tail shark or 2, 2 mollys, and either some neon tetras or a swordtail. later i will buy a few snails. i'm wondering if those kinds of fish need the salt or can tolerate the brackish water? if i need a under gravel filter or not? one of my friends gave me his compact 100 watt heater. i tried using it and i know it works but it seems like it gets too hott maybe i need to adjust it but the dial on top. i think its hard to set the temp. do i need a test kit if so what would be the best with my kind of set up? do livebearers like water thats above room temp? do i need meds just incase if so what kind? is there any other kind of tips or tricks you can give me? sorry about all the questions but i dont know really anything about raising fish. the reason i'm asking so many questions also is because i'm moving to where there isnt a pet store withing 100 miles in a few days and i need to know what to get before i'm out of luck or have to buy online. and yes i will set up my tank after i have moved
thank you,
brian ross

or if you have any other recommendations like fish and what not. i found out my filter is only the 2 stage, is it bad not to have the third stage biological?

Welcome to AA!

Yes, livebearers like mollies, swords, platies and guppies (tropicals) need the heat. set your heater, check it after half a day. If its too hight, turn it down. Depending on the fish, you probably will do OK with a temp of 78. Then check the temp after 24 hours, see if it is where you want it. A 100 watt heater is a bit strong for a 10 gal tank, so keep an eye on it.

A test kit is needed, and the best way is to buy one online. an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master kit is about $14 online.

If your pet store is so far away, I would consider having meds on hand to treat Ich.

I am not familiar with the filter you have. Lots of folks on AA love the aquaclear HOB filters, and one for a 10 gal tank is about $12 online. But the one you have may be all you need.

Aquarium salt is recommended by many for Mollies.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. The articles section of AA has info. No matter what filter you have, you can't just fill and add fish. "new tank syndrome" with fish death will result. You need to get bacteria established in your gravel and filter that can consume ammonia and nitrite.

And read up on the fish you are considering. Keep a close eye on their maximum size at full grwoth, some fish can quickly outgrow a 10 gal tank.

Research and plan it out, and you will be very sucessful. And all my Kudos to you for starting out right!

thank you i've been looking through all the forums and have learned alot. for the past 3 days i've been looking for a site like this one to answer my questions because the pet store people dont like to make up their mind on a subject. finally i have found one. what is a good med kit to have, one that will cure most common things? and to cycle the tank just let it sit for awhile maybe in the sun? and what are kudos exactly?

Aquarium salt is recommended by many for Mollies.

Salt is absolutely necessary for mollies, though not nearly as much as is recommended by the manufacturer's (ie i tbsp per 5gal).

Also, be careful of your stocking plans. The basic formula is 1" of fish per gal. This number is just a guide as it also depends on the the fish waste production and habits. Sharks for example, need more room to turn than other fish and they also have a habit of jumping out of tanks.

Kudos are used by members to show their appreciation for advice or for any other reason you see fit.

You earn kudos automatically by:

Starting a thread (2)
Posting (1)
Recommending AA to friends (see the "Support AA" link on the homepage top left)

As an example, check your total as of now.

one of my friends started a 2.5 gallon he went to the pet store got the fish the same day. put them in and they've been fine since. its been over a month now. he has a betta with a divider a molly and a swordtail. if that helps any?

i have some of that aqua clear stuff doesnt that auto cycle the tank like the biospira stuff? the petco people told me to wash my tank and gravel really well and follow the aqua clears directions. then come back the next day to buy fish? i want to get my fish asap but also want them to live and breed. is buying fish online a good or bad idea? as i said before i'm moving and theres no close pet stores and i will be going near one the day after i move. so thats one of the only time i can buy fish besides on the internet and i dont really understand how buying fish on the web works because fish can only be in a small bag for a couple hours right?

Cycling a tank is done by suppllying ammonia to a tank that has substrate for bacteria to grow on. A decaying shrimp, adding pure ammonia, or a VERY low number of hardy fish can do this. I am providinga link to my web page. Check out the "low bioload project" link, and the fishless cycle links in the "nitro-gems" box.

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0001.htm

TomK2 answers your question about cycling here.

Yes, there are "hardy" fish. That does not mean "indestructable". The nitrogen cycle can produce some very harmful toxins to fish.

If you're looking into hardy fish, danios, neons and some tetras fit in this category.

I have not heard great things about the instant cycle products, except for "Bio-spira." If you want to try to add the bacteria and fish at the same time, Bio-spira would be the way to go. But you might find it a little hard to find.

I have never bought fish online. Shipping is expensive since they have to overnight it.

Hardy fish are Zebra danios and Platies in my experience. There are likely others, but I bet zebra danios have cycled more tanks than anything else.

i think using fish to cycle tanks is kind of tourture but i'll try finding that biospira stuff i've heard some good feedbacks on it hopefully it will work for me if it doesnt i'll try regularly cycling it

One other note, I noticed you were going to want the mollies to spawn and have fry. Do you have a seperate tank for the fry? If not, and you are set on having a red-tailed shark (little to big for a 10gal imo) then the fry will most likely become a snack for the shark. Also only get one, they become very aggressive towards their own kind. Just make sure you research the fish ALOT bofore getting them. It will save you time, money and headaches...

i dont have another tank but could easily get one. and i dont really want to keep but a few of them. since i do only have a 10 gallon. and the red tail shark i'm going to get would be small. and yes i have researched them alot. the only question i have still is are red tail sharks and tetras ok with enough salt for mollies. i plan to put even a little less than directed incase they dont like the salt very well

I had a red-tailed shark in a tank that had the suggested salt levels and he was just fine but i'm no expert and have only ever had the one shark.

they are fish that can stand a wide range of ph's and other stuff like that, such as a goldfish. i had a goldfish that survived the worst of worst.

hardy fish what are they?
There are many hardy fish to choose from. I've used Mollies, Betta's, Neon's, and bala sharks to cycle. Not all at the same time of course. Those fish were during my days of "Cycling? What is THAT?". Now that I've learned from my mistakes, it is best to cycle the tank FIRST then add fish. I know that you may be impatient staring at an empty tank, but your fish will thank you for being brought home to a cycled tank. Your fish will be more likely to get ich or other diseased from an un-cycled tank.

i'm wondering if those kinds of fish need the salt or can tolerate the brackish water?
They like some salt, but not necessarily brackish.

if i need a under gravel filter or not?
This topic is up to much debate on this site. There are a couple die hard ugf owners out there. But the majority agrees that they are not needed. They are a big mess and a hob is sufficient. IMO, don't even think about buying one.

of my friends gave me his compact 100 watt heater
Watch this closely. As TomK2 said, it is strong for a 10 gal.

do i need a test kit if so what would be the best with my kind of set up?
Yes, you definately need one. And please do NOT get the strips. They are much more expensive and are not as accurate. The best that I've seen is Aquarium Pharmacuticals Master Test Kit. They are rather expensive at the lfs but alot cheaper online. You could try www.bigalsonline.com They have great prices, fast shipping, and great customer service.

do livebearers like water thats above room temp?
Depending on your room temperature, you will most likely need to use the heater. You will want your temp in the mid to upper 70's.

do i need meds just incase if so what kind?
A good med to have on hand is Aquarium Salt. I don't know if it is technically considered a med, but it is good to have on hand. Also, check online for common diseases that occur for your specific fish. It wouldn't be bad to have a stash of meds that will cure those diseases. Just be sure to check the expiration dates before using.

is there any other kind of tips or tricks you can give me?
Lets see, tips: Make sure you have all the equipment needed for water changes (gavel vac, dechlorinator, bucket) but don't gravel vac until after your tank has cycled unless it is REALLY messy. I'm not sure how much you already know about aquaria, but one GREAT piece of advice: Your tank is not ever going to be spotlessly clean. It is supposed to have gunk in the filter, don't ever clean the filter pads with clean water from the tap, don't even replace the carbon unless you are taking meds out of the tank, don't clean too much at one time, don't ever use soap on ANYTHING that will be in your tank, use meds lightly, don't be fooled into purchasing meds to lower ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates (water changes will fix this for you), some chemicals from the lfs can cause more harm than good.....hmm. That's all for now. There is so much info crammed into my head that I could just burst and spent 2 days writting it all down. BUT, that's what this forum is for. Ask questions and we will answer.

is buying fish online a good or bad idea?
I've never done it and won't ever do it. The fish are stressed in those bags that get flopped around on the back of trucks. I'd rather drive 5 hours to STL and purchase fish and drive them back safely in my car.

I've gone from purchasing from the lfs to buying exclusively from Big Al's unless it's something that they don't have. Regarding your fish, it would be best to set up the tank first, then purchase fish at a later date. You may have to drive 100 miles to get fish, but many of us on this site have driven further than that. Heck, I drove 5 hours just to check out a lfs that specialized in Lake Malawi Cichlids. And it was well worth it. You will have fewer fish deaths if you cycle first.

I hope I could help you. Any more questions, post away! And don't forget to Vote at the link in my sig.

yes you did answer alot of my questions and i havent set up my tank yet the one i got was leaking :( so i went and got the silicone sealer and it was no use so tomorrow i'm exchanging the 10 gal tank kit for a new one. i bought the "cycle" in a bottle and i know i should wait but i think i'm going to add some fish tomorrow also.

If the "cycle in a bottle" that you are talking about is not called Bio-Spira, it most likely won't work. Bio-Spira is the only product that actually works at cycling a tank. I learned that one the hard way.

You can cycle with fish if you want to. Personally, I have only cycled with fish and haven't had too many problems. Just be sure that you use hardy fish and are prepared for daily water changes. You will need to check the levels daily also. Did you buy a Master Test Kit?

Back
Top Bottom