Beginner, let's start responsibly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmid21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!
I am starting off a new tank (new to the hobby) and would like to start responsibly; so, I would like to solicit your expertise. I have a rough idea on what I want to accomplish but need help on the last part of my plan, which is the best part! Picking out fish.
For background:
I will have a 20 gallon tank 24x12x17. The deep substrate will be potting soil with a gravel cap. The tank will be heavily planted and I have tried to stay with low light, easy to keep plants. (no CO2) Java moss in the foreground, Crypto in the middle ground, Microsorum/Hygrophila/Hornwort/Water Wisteria in the background. My goal is to have a very low bio load (think only a few fish). In addition, I am looking into creating some-what of an ecosystem where all the plants/animals come from around the same area. (Asia) I would really like to have Cherry Shrimp and Malaysian Trumpet Snails (or some other snail)
I initially wanted to “rescue” a Betta from those sad environments that many find themselves as it really makes me sad for the fish. :( I was going to add Harlequin Rasboras (6+) with the Betta. Through research, it seems as though it just depends on the Betta if they will one day destroy the occupants of the tank. I don’t think I want to take the chance of rescuing one fish at the expense of several others.
So right now, my list is down to:
Cherry Barb (Might need a bigger tank than a 20 gallon? Read they like groups of 6+ so I might have too small of tank)
Celestial Pearl Danios (can be hard to find and relatively expensive)
White Cloud Minnow (Not as visually appealing as the Cherry Barb)

So my long-winded questions (sorry!):
1. What would you recommend? (any criticisms, concerns comments are very much appreciated)
2. Is there any fish that I might have overlooked? (Spouse doesn’t like Kuhli Loaches)
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
:thanks:

Cherry Barbs would be fine; they don't get very big and are attractive. Celestial Danios can be had at WetSpot by shipment for $6 each plus shipping. The shipping is more expensive than the fish, unfortunately.White Clouds need cooler water than the others. Think also about Harlequin Rasboras, Cardinal Tetras, or Ember Tetras.

Female bettas tend to be less territorial, I've had nothing but good luck with my females in community tanks. They also tend to be bought less because they are less flashy.
I've kept mine with pristella tetras, corydoras, black neons, mollies (too big for 20 gal IMO) cardinals and platies. Not all in the same tank of course.
Rasboras and smaller tetras will be your best bet for keeping a betta n a 20 gallon with tankmates.
Good luck!

I guess I must have covered all suggested fish from Asia..

If there are no other suggestions, I will go with the Cherry Barb then. Thanks for confirmation that I would be fine with Cherry Barbs in a 20 gallon tank.

How many Cherry Barbs would you say I could fit in there? (keeping in mind a want a low bio-load)

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post!

I guess I must have covered all suggested fish from Asia..

If there are no other suggestions, I will go with the Cherry Barb then. Thanks for confirmation that I would be fine with Cherry Barbs in a 20 gallon tank.

How many Cherry Barbs would you say I could fit in there? (keeping in mind a want a low bio-load)

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post!

I'd say 7: 2 males, five females, or 3/4.

Back
Top Bottom