Beginning Cycle 125 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamelarowley57

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I am very excited to be the proud owner of a 125 gal tank and am, of course anxious and inpatient. I am doing my best to hold back though and have found the tutorials about fishless cycling very helpful.

I figured I would throw everything out there and see if anyone has insight that might help....even just some encouragement goes a long way :)

Right now my tank is at 80 degrees F. Moderately planted with substrate of: sand, soil, eco plant substrate (don't remember brand) and new gravel. Lights off, Air bubbler on, old media bio sponge from established tank in new filter, HOB emp 400 filter, No fish are in the new tank yet and my fish are very unhappy in their established tanks while they wait for their new home!

Thinking of starting the ammonia additive cycle to speed the process, but I realize I have done a few things out of order. However, don't believe anything in detrimentally out of order at this stage.

Just trying to be patient....My poor fishies are too.

I don't see anything done out of order. In fact, if you have enough plants and the media from the other tank is well seeded, you can probably start adding some of the fish now. You really shouldn't have a cycle at this point as long as you keep the bioload low and allow the bacteria to build up to meet the demand. The plants, if there are enough, will go a long way in helping as well. I'd give it a try and just keep a close eye on the parameters. If you do start seeing ammonia or nitrites you can always put the fish back into the old tank.

Cool! Great news!

I thought about trying it out with some of my smaller (future donor fish) but I didn't want to be marked as an animal abuser ;/

I have three glo fish, which are tiny and sure to be eaten by the dinosaur bichir. Also a molly, which I don't care for. I was, however, open to donating these guys to the LFS instead of just sacrificing them....seemed maybe more humane. However, you're right. I can just put them back in the small tank when I am ready to add my sengal and lace cat.

Not sure how those two will get along, but if they can't get along in 125 gal then somebody is just going to have to go........

Back
Top Bottom