Best Canister Choices for 20 Gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregburbidge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

My wife is interested in us switching a canister filter for our 20 gallon aquarium. We have tried a few HOB filters and they are all a bit noisy for the room we keep the aquarium in. I've noticed that you can also get external heaters of the Eheim canisters so you can take the heater out of the aquarium as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a canister for a 20 gallon aquarium?

Thanks!

gb

I have an Eheim 2217 classic canister on my 50g tank.

My water is crystal clear without any troubles. And I mean very very crystal clear.
And the filter is so silent sometimes I need to check its actually plugged in and working.

Hope that helps you.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love my Fluval. You might also get lucky, PetSmart had a clearance on all the canisters for smaller tanks.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have no complaints with my fluval 306 on my 29. Would have a 406 if my 75 was fw and not salt.
Before I used my fluval to diffuse co2, and in the few hours it ran today with the new reactor the canister was dead silent. Even if I touch it I barely notice it's running full blast.

It seems that the most common canisters here are fluval and eheim with some people using sunsun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sunsuns are quickly becoming the most popular canisters here due to affordability. I own 2 of them myself.

The fluvals only seem most common because theres a few very outspoken members that use and promote them. The eheims are great filters but for some reason have fallen by the wayside in popularity.

Hi All,

My wife is interested in us switching a canister filter for our 20 gallon aquarium. We have tried a few HOB filters and they are all a bit noisy for the room we keep the aquarium in. I've noticed that you can also get external heaters of the Eheim canisters so you can take the heater out of the aquarium as well.

Thanks!

gb

If you are just concerned about the noise then you could try a more expensive HOB filter that would be very quiet instead of getting a canister. Just putting it out there. If you have your heart set on taking out the filter you have now, then I have a Eheim canister filter on my 20 G I would recommend . It clears the water and is very customizable. The only downside is that it is hard to take apart and wash. So that may be a concern. The Aquaclear HOB filter is quiet and really easy to wash and I would recommend it if you want a HOB.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sunsuns are quickly becoming the most popular canisters here due to affordability. I own 2 of them myself.

The fluvals only seem most common because theres a few very outspoken members that use and promote them. The eheims are great filters but for some reason have fallen by the wayside in popularity.
I find both Fluval and eheim very good, but I dislike the eheim classic series because of how you have to prime it.

I use a Fluval 205 for my 20G, and it does a wonderful job.

The eheim are also very silent, but the motor does have a small humming sound from the electric current. Most people don't hear it though.

I got an API canister lately, and it also seems very good, low/no noise, and love how you prime it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I use fluval and sunsun. Dont have a complaint abt either. Both run smooth, quiet, and without issue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi All,

Thanks!

gb

I just put a sun sun with 75 gallon an hour flow on my 29(can't remember the model number and I'm at work with no access to it)

I can't even hear it running and it does a marvelous job

It's a very nice change from the noisey hob on its last leg that I used to have on there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you can't go wrong with a Fluval canister. Very quiet, work great, EASY to clean.

I have one of the Eheim Ecco series on one of my 20 longs. I forget which model though.
Quiet and easy to clean/maintain. Not too much current, which works well for that tank.

Back
Top Bottom