Best External Filter for 350L Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squasedpotato

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I know someone who has a Juwel Trigon 350 tank (one of those corner/crossbow ones) and i'm helping them out with setting it up.

We're going to turn this into a Discus tank, we are either going to have 7 Adult Discus fish in there or 15 small ones (i know this sounds insane, but we will be giving them back to the lfs as they start growing and swapping them for smaller ones to put back in).

What i'm looking for is an external filter (Don't really rate the internal one) which will do a really good job for these Discus and will also keep the water crystal clear throughout the week , water changes will be done weekly of 40% (probably more), preferably i'd like the filter to be under £110 but if it's something exceptional i might be able to convince the owner to go a little further ;)

Oh before i forget, the tank is fully cycled, took just under eight weeks to cycle it without any fish.

Any recommendations would be much appreciate! :)

Hey guys,

I know someone who has a Juwel Trigon 350 tank (one of those corner/crossbow ones) and i'm helping them out with setting it up.

We're going to turn this into a Discus tank, we are either going to have 7 Adult Discus fish in there or 15 small ones (i know this sounds insane, but we will be giving them back to the lfs as they start growing and swapping them for smaller ones to put back in).

What i'm looking for is an external filter (Don't really rate the internal one) which will do a really good job for these Discus and will also keep the water crystal clear throughout the week , water changes will be done weekly of 40% (probably more), preferably i'd like the filter to be under £110 but if it's something exceptional i might be able to convince the owner to go a little further ;)

Oh before i forget, the tank is fully cycled, took just under eight weeks to cycle it without any fish.

Any recommendations would be much appreciate! :)
Hi. I'm assuming your British??, the pound sign!!!. If you are, All Pond Solutions(ebay store) make a good range of externals, both HOBS and Canisters pretty cheap. I have read good reports about them.....

Great suggestion! It seems they're cheaper than other well known brands but have alot of good feedback to back themselves up with, think i've found what i was looking for, thanks!!

I can personally recommend the all pond solutions external filters. I have 2 of them (the 1000EF+ & 2000EF+) and have never had a problem with either. The 2000EF should be more than enough for the tank you mentioned and last time I looked they were £70 or for a tenner more you can get the 2000EF+ with built in uv. They come with filter media (although you may like me want to add to or substitute out some media according to your preferences) and all the pipework youll need.
I dont think there's a better value filter available.

Great suggestion! It seems they're cheaper than other well known brands but have alot of good feedback to back themselves up with, think i've found what i was looking for, thanks!!
Yeah i'm going for the 2000EF myself, not sure whether to go with the UV. It's only £10 extra(and you don't have to run it, has it's own on/off switch), so I probably will. I know it might seem a bit of overkill for a 200ltr but they are never as strong as advertised. Also I plan on packing plenty of polyfil in there which will slow the flow a bit. I'm also gonna go with their largest hob for my 15g. It's for my fry tank, so it will be pretty heavily stocked soon. Also check out their pre-filter unit. Look into Seachem Matrix and Seachem Purigen......
Check out this review.....

I can personally recommend the all pond solutions external filters. I have 2 of them (the 1000EF+ & 2000EF+) and have never had a problem with either. The 2000EF should be more than enough for the tank you mentioned and last time I looked they were £70 or for a tenner more you can get the 2000EF+ with built in uv. They come with filter media (although you may like me want to add to or substitute out some media according to your preferences) and all the pipework youll need.
I dont think there's a better value filter available.
Hey Dreadz, does the 2000EF model have open/close valves, like on the TetraTec EX700???

Attachments

• tetratec-ex600_700_taps.jpg
    tetratec-ex600_700_taps.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 118
There's 1 lever between the inlet/output nozzles which controls the flow through both
As in controls both at the same time, not individually??. The reason i'm asking is, I have the EX700 at the moment and to do a small midweek WC, I just discount the inlet tube and it siphons by itself into buckets. It's just a lazy way to do a quick WC!!!

Back
Top Bottom