Best fish for algae (Oto vs Pleco)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys.. My FW tank is about 3 weeks old now. The lighting in my tank (12 gallon nano cube dx) is pretty intense and I'm starting to notice some brownish algae growth on the silk plant leaves and on some rocks. Someone told me that the intense light (50/50 with a blue tint, which is really meant for SW) will cause me to have an algae problem down the road. I know that there will be no fish that will totally keep my tank free from algae and that I will need to clean it myself. However, in terms of at least keeping most algae at bay, what fish are best? Since my tank is small at only 12 gallons, I need something that won't grow large. I was thinking of either a Starry Night Pleco (which maxes out at 4" at adult size) or Otocinclus Catfish. But if I go with the Oto I've read I have to keep at least 3 or more. That will reduce the amount of other fish I can put in this tank. Is it possible to just keep 1 or 2 Otos? Or would the one Pleco be a better option?

they will go away, but get a true SAE instead, otos are sensitive and pleco's mostly loose their taste for algae when they mature.

that sounds like diatoms, which will go away on their own... theyre almost bound to show up in a new tank

Just out of curiosity, what will make them go away on their own? I was thinking of taking the affected rocks and plants and wiping them clean. But if they'll go away on their own, how long does that usually take? Will it get worse before it gets better?

Any algae eaters out there that eat the diatoms too? Or is that a particular type of algae that is not eaten?

its something you really cant avoid in a new tank... you can suck it up with a gravel vac, but chances are it will come right back for a couple weeks to a couple months

about a week or two, pretty much brian, set it up and forget it for a few weeks. the diatoms will go away in 7-14 days usually sometimes sooner. we all get them. let it run its course, it is establishing an environment and messing with it within the first 6 weeks of being set up and running makes it less stable in the long run.

let the bacteria colonize and start to do its work and grow. keep a few danios in there as they cycle tanks very well. also if you can put a hearty low light plant in there it will help cycle and also filter the tank in its own way.

dont worry about algae eaters yet, you got plenty of time before one is needed.

. keep a few danios in there as they cycle tanks very well. also if you can put a hearty low light plant in there it will help cycle and also filter the tank in its own way.

dont worry about algae eaters yet, you got plenty of time before one is needed.

Yeah I'm holding off on any new fish. I have 3 hardy Cherry Barbs in there right now helping with the cycling. I have artificial plants in there for the time being. At first I was totally against getting real plants because I did't want to deal with the mess. However, I am sort of considering it now. The only thing is that I have regular black gravel in the tank. Wouldn't I need to add some special substrate for a planted tank though?

On a side note, it's really good to hear from all of you that the diatoms will subside on their own. I was concerned that it will just grow out of control or something.

Mess? hardly a mess its not too bad, in a few weeks Ill be setting up my 4th planted tank.

it really does help. You can get eco complete or flourite, but in a 13g the fert tabs for the roots will do just fine, for low light plants.

I started with white sand with plants, now I got the substrate because these tanks all got set up after that first plunge and had a better idea of how this stuff works.

I got my dad setting up a live plant tank, 4 months ago he was riding my behind because I had a big box of plants shipped to the house and spent the next two days planting the tank and also cleaning the plants. Now he is gonna do it, he liked the end results, one plant package has 3 of my own tanks planted after 4 months.

its not hard but its not all that easy either, takes dedication and attention to detail to have a nice planted tank, in your case a nano planted or possibly a NPT would be best.

its not hard but its not all that easy either, takes dedication and attention to detail to have a nice planted tank, in your case a nano planted or possibly a NPT would be best.

Yeah that's the thing. I might not have all the time right now to dedicate to this. I'm already finding myself utilizing a lot of my free time (that I should be using for responsibilities) to just my Nano NPT. I can imagine how much more time I'll need to really do a planted tank right (trial and error, research, etc.). I'm open to the idea, but I think it will be down the road when I have more time, resources (i.e. $$$ and additional tanks), and space. For now, I want to do what I can to make my little Nano NPT balanced as can be given the restraints in which I have in place.

In most cases a fish isnt the answer to algae. It is usually something you are doing wrong that is causing the algae. If it is diatoms, they will go away. If you get algae later, it is usually due to overfeeding or something like that.

In most cases a fish isnt the answer to algae. It is usually something you are doing wrong that is causing the algae. If it is diatoms, they will go away. If you get algae later, it is usually due to overfeeding or something like that.

The LFS keeper told me that due to my intense light in my Nano Cube ((2) 24 Watt 50/50 CF Lamps), I will have problems with algae down the road. Is that not a correct statement? This tank has a remote ballast with one switch on it that turns on both lamps under the hood. So I have no choice to just have 1 of the 2 CF lamps to turn on; thus, the lighting is fairly intense. It's funny because I don't even think I need a heater in this tank for the lights alone keep the water at around 79~82 degrees. Also, I know that fish isn't the answer to the algae dilemma and I would have to clean the stuff up on my own, but wouldn't an algae eater at least help? Perhaps in giving me more time in between cleanings?

I know that the Otos like shoals of 3 or more. But is it possible to just keep one or two?

in a nutshell, yes, the light *can* cause algae problems... but, if you dont have plants, there is absolutely no reason to have the light on for more than a couple hours a day to see your fish. An algae eater can help with cleaning algae, but should only be purchased for your enjoyment, not as a cleaner upper. Dont overfeed, dont keep your lights on more than necessary, and keep up on your water changes and you shouldnt have an algae issue to worry about. The biggest problem with plecos is that they come with a huge bioload for their size. Some of the smaller plecos like bristlenose and rubberlipped stay small, but still have a large bioload for their size compared to other fish. The algae eaters can get aggressive and really shouldnt be in a tank smaller than 20g imo... Just judging off your statement that the lights keep the tank warm enough as to not need a heater, id say you're leaving them on too long already, which will result in algae if you dont cut back. Thats just my opinion anyways :)

true SAE instead
they stop eating algae as adults too....

best algae eater.... only run the lights when you want to see the fish.
FU0JRYWM1p361c.jpg

just so we are clear.

intense light
might cause algae if its left on for long periods of time with out line plants. its not because the 50/50 bulb. thought thats what you meant but wanted to make it clear if it wasnt.

Sounds good guys.. especially the cleaning brush! haha... Okay, so I'll abandon the algae eater fish all together. Great advice and well made points mfdrookie516. But as a clean-up crew, what do you guys think of snails and/or shrimp then? If so, what are some good options with those? Or do they really need to be in just a planted tank?

Well, i really like mystery snails... theyre just fun to watch. Not sure how good they are at cleaning up though. I've got mts in all of my tanks, but they do better with sand than gravel. Shrimp are cool, but do best in planted tanks where they can hide and feed off the plants. I've got one mystery snail almost as big as a golf ball and it just slides around all day doing its thing.

in my last tank i had a brown fuzz break out and it covered all my rocks and most of my plants i had a japanes or chines butterfly fish not sure witch one it was calleed and it would clean the glass, rocks, plants, and the gravel in a grid pattern and it would be spotless after he was done. could this have been the same brown that brian is dealing with and dose anybody know what kind of fish im talking about i mite be able to find a pic of it but not sure

@strokinbyeu Interesting... but what's the fish called or do you have a picture? Could it be the one that mgamer20o0 posted?

thats the lil fella rite there. its a neat fish to watch its mouth is under it about rite under its eyes if not back a lil further back when u look at it from underneith u can c its hart beating and its fins jsut waving its pectoral fins and its anal fins give it a figur 8 look vany neat

Back
Top Bottom